- McDonald LC, Owings M, Jernigan DB. Clostridium difficile infection in patients discharged from U.S. short-stay hospitals, 1996-2003. Emerg Infect Dis 2006;12:409-15.
- Elixhauser A, Jhung MA. Clostridium difficile-associated diseases in U.S. hospitals, 1993-2005. HCUP Statistical Brief #50. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; April 2008. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb50.jsp. Accessed July 10, 2012.
- Severe Clostridium difficile-associated disease in populations previously at low risk—four states, 2005. MMWR 2005;54:1201-5.
- Dubberke ER, Reske KA, Olsen MA, et al. Short- and long-term attributable costs of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in nonsurgical inpatients. Clin Infect Dis 2008;46(4):497-504.
- State-based HAI prevention: Facilities in these states are required by law to report HAI data to NHSN. Atlanta, GA: CDC. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hai/stateplans/required-to-report-hai-NHSN.html. Accessed July 10, 2012.
- National Healthcare Safety Network. Multidrug-resistant organism and Clostridium difficile infection (MDRO/CDI) module. Atlanta, GA: CDC. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/mdro_cdad.html. 2012.
- Guidelines for environmental infection control in health-care facilities: recommendations of CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). Atlanta, GA: CDC; 2003.
- Dellit TH, Owens RC, McGowan JE Jr. Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44(2):159-77. Available at: http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/44/2/159.full.pdf+html. Accessed July 10, 2012.
Healthcare-Associated Infections Program
- Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria
- Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program (CUSP)
- National Scorecard Reports
- Reducing Hospital-Acquired Conditions
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers Toolkit
- C difficile Toolkit
- Central Line Insertion Checklist
- CLABSI and CAUTI Prevention in ICUs
- Community-Acquired Pneumonia Toolkit
- CRE Toolkit
- Improving Antibiotic Use
- Improving Surgical Care and Recovery
- Improving Your Laboratory Testing Process
- Mechanically Ventilated Patients Toolkit
- Non-ICU Patients With Devices
- Perinatal Safety Toolkit
- Reduce CAUTI in LTC Facilities
- Reducing CAUTI in Hospitals
- Reducing CLABSI Toolkit
- Safe Surgery Toolkit
- Safe Transitions Across Ambulatory Settings
- Universal ICU Decolonization Protocol
Toolkit for Reduction of Clostridium difficile Infections Through Antimicrobial Stewardship
Internet Citation: References. Content last reviewed September 2012. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD.