Re-Engineered Discharge (RED) Toolkit
Tool 2: How to Begin the Re-engineered Discharge Implementation At Your Hospital (continued)
Table of Contents
- Greenwald JL, Denham C, Jack BW. The hospital discharge: a care transition with a high potential for errors. J Patient Saf 2007;3(2):97-106.
- Clancy CM. Reengineering hospital discharge: a protocol to improve patient safety, reduce costs, and boost patient satisfaction. Am J Med Qual 2009;24(4):344-6.
- Greenwald J, Jack B. Preventing the preventable: reducing rehospitalizations through coordinated, patient-centered discharge processes. Prof Case Manag 2009;14(3):135-40.
- Coleman EA, Parry C, Chalmers S, et al. The care transitions intervention: results of a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:1822-8.
- Naylor MD, Brooten D, Campbell R, et al. Comprehensive discharge planning and home followup of hospitalized elders: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 1999;281:613-20.
- Kansagara D, Englander H, Salanitro A, et al. Risk prediction models for hospital readmissiona systematic review. JAMA 2011;306(15):1688-98.
- Mitchell S, Paasche-Orlow MK, Forsythe SR, et al. Postdischarge hospital utilization among adult medical inpatients with depressive symptoms. J Hosp Med 2010 Sep;5(7):378-84.
- Kartha A, Anthony D, Manasseh CS, et al. Depression is a risk factor for rehospitalization in medical inpatients. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry 2007;9(4):256-62.
- Walley AY, Paasche-Orlow M, Lee E, et al. Acute care hospital utilization among medical inpatients discharged with a substance use disorder diagnosis. J Addict Med 2012 Mar;6(1):50-6.
- Woz S, Mitchell S, Hesko C, et al. Gender as risk factor for 30 days postdischarge hospital utilisation: a secondary data analysis. BMJ Open 2012 Apr 18;2(2):e000428. Print 2012.
- Fader HC. Developing strategies for the readmission of homeless patients. Readmission News 2012;1(2);1,7-8.
- Strunin L, Stone M, Jack B. Understanding rehospitalization risk: can the hospital discharge be modified to impact recurrent hospitalization. J Hosp Med 2007;2(5):297-304.
- Jack B, Greenwald J, Forsythe S, et al. Developing the tools to administer a comprehensive hospital discharge program: the Re-Engineered Discharge (RED) Program. In Henriksen K, Battles JB, Keyes MA, et al, eds. Advances in patient safety: New directions and alternative approaches. Vol. 3, Performance and tools. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; August 2008. AHRQ Publication No. 08-0034-3. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK43688/. Accessed July 30, 2012.
- Anthony D, Chetty VK, Kartha A, et al. Re-Engineering the hospital discharge: an example of a multifaceted process evaluation. In: Henriksen K, Battles JB, Marks ES, et al., eds. Advances in patient safety: from research to implementation. Vol. 2, Concepts and methodology. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; February 2005. AHRQ Publication No. 05-0021-2. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patient-safety-resources/resources/advances-in-patient-safety/vol2/Anthony.pdf [Plugin Software Help]. Accessed July 30, 2012.
- Anjard RP. Process mapping: a valuable tool for construction management and other professionals. Int J Operat Product Mgt 1998;16(3/4):79-81.
- Soliman F. Optimum level of process mapping and least cost business process re-engineering. Int J Operat Product Mgt 1998;18(9/10):810-6.
- Peppard J, Rowland P. The essence of business process re-engineering. Hemel Hempstead, UK: Prentice Hall; 1995.
- Curtis B, Kellner M, Over J. Process modeling. Commun ACM 1992 Sept;35(9):75-90.
- Oakland JS. Total Quality Management: the route to improving performance. 2nd ed. Oxford, UK: Butterworth-Heineman; 1994.
Page last reviewed March 2013
Page originally created March 2013
Page originally created March 2013
Internet Citation: Tool 2: How to Begin the Re-engineered Discharge Implementation At Your Hospital (continued). Content last reviewed March 2013. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. https://www.ahrq.gov/hai/red/toolkit/redtool2ref.html