Practice Facilitation Handbook
Module 17 Trainer’s Guide: Electronic Health Records and Meaningful Use
Table of Contents
- Presession preparation for learners: 45 minutes
- Session: 50 minutes
__ Computer, Internet access, and a projector or video display.
__ Access to the following Web sites:
- New York eHealth Collaborative: http://nyehealth.org/.
- Massachusetts eHealth Institute: http://mehi.masstech.org/.
- Health IT.gov, Meaningful Use: http://www.healthit.gov/policy-researchers-implementers/meaningful-use.
- Official Web Site for the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Programs, http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EHRIncentivePrograms/index.html?redirect=/ehrincentiveprograms/.
- Workflow Assessment for Health IT Toolkit, http://healthit.ahrq.gov/health-it-tools-and-resources/workflow-assessment-health-it-toolkit.
__ Bodenheimer T. Workflow mapping: a tool for achieving meaningful use. University of California San Francisco, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Center for Excellence in Primary Care. See Module 17 Appendix.
Learners will be able to:
- Identify the origins of meaningful use.
- Describe the three stages of meaningful use and timeframes for implementation.
- Advise an organization on how to apply for incentive payments and reporting requirements.
Exercises and Activities To Complete Before and During the Session
Read (15 minutes)
- Module 17.
Review (30 minutes)
Web sites with information on meaningful use.
During the Session
Present (30 minutes)
- Module 17.
Bodenheimer T. Workflow mapping: a tool for achieving meaningful use. University of California San Francisco, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Center for Excellence in Primary Care. See Module 17 Appendix.
Discuss (20 minutes)
- What are the three levels of meaningful use and why are they important?
- What implications does meaningful use have for your work with practices?
- What are some key workflows that you can help practices redesign to meet meaningful use requirements?
- How do you think meaningful use might help or impede in quality improvement work at a practice?
Page originally created May 2013