Public Comments Due April 16: Clinical Algorithms That May Promote Bias in Medical Decision Making
AHRQ is seeking public comments on clinical algorithms used in medical practice that may introduce bias into decision making or negatively affect access, quality or health outcomes among racial and ethnic minority groups.
Clinical algorithms are a set of steps that clinicians take to guide decision making in preventive services, diagnosis, and clinician management. Following public input, AHRQ will undertake an evidence review to understand:
- Which algorithms are currently used in different clinical settings.
- The type and extent of their validation.
- Their potential for bias with impact on access, quality and outcomes of care.
- Awareness among clinicians of these issues.
- Strategies for developing and testing clinical algorithms to assure that they are free of bias.
The deadline for providing comments is 11:59 p.m. ET on April 16.