National Strategy for Quality Improvement in Health Care
Priority #3: Ensuring that each person and family are engaged as partners in their care.
Examples of Federal Initiatives Related to Priorities:
- Building Patients' Perspectives Into All Performance Assessments: Starting with the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS), Medicare has used its purchasing power to get virtually all hospitals to publicly report standardized information on the perspective of all patients (including Medicare beneficiaries, Medicaid beneficiaries, and those with private insurance). This was the first large-scale initiative to include patient experience as a factor in quality reporting.
- Establishing the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute: Established as an independent, nonprofit organization under the Affordable Care Act, the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) will build on the current work of AHRQ and NIH [National Institutes of Health] to assist patients, clinicians, and policymakers in making informed health decisions. http://pcori.org
- AHRQ's Patient-Centered Care Improvement Guide: AHRQ has developed a guide to help hospitals become more patient-centered. It outlines best practices and addresses common barriers to implementing patient-centered care. http://www.innovations.ahrq.gov/content.aspx?id=2383
Initial Goals, Opportunities for Success, and Illustrative Measures:
Goal: Create a delivery system that is less fragmented and more coordinated, where handoffs are clear, and patients and clinicians have the information they need to optimize the patient-clinician partnership.
Opportunities for success:
- Reduce preventable hospital admissions and readmissions.
- Prevent and manage chronic illness and disability.
- Ensure secure information exchange to facilitate efficient care delivery.
- All-cause readmissions within 30 days of discharge.
- Percentage of providers who provide a summary record of care for transitions and referrals.
Page originally created September 2012