Priority #6: Working with communities to promote wide use of best practices to enable healthy living.
Examples of Federal Initiatives Related to Priorities:
- Putting Prevention to Work in Communities: The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provided $650 million to carry out evidence-based clinical and community-based programs to prevent or delay chronic diseases and promote wellness in children and adults. Some of those funds went to "Communities Putting Prevention to Work," a program which supports policy and environmental changes at the local and State level that aim to increase levels of physical activity; improve nutrition; decrease obesity rates; and decrease smoking prevalence, teen smoking, and exposure to second-hand smoke. For more information, go to http://www.cdc.gov/CommunitiesPuttingPreventiontoWork/about/index.htm.
- First Lady's Let's Move! Campaign: The Let's Move! campaign, started by First Lady Michelle Obama, has an ambitious national goal of addressing the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation so that children born today will reach adulthood at a healthy weight. http://www.letsmove.gov/
- Preventing Substance Abuse and Mental Illness in Tribal Communities: Helping communities promote emotional health and reduce the likelihood of mental illness, substance abuse, and suicide is the goal of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's "Circles of Care" initiative. http://www.samhsa.gov/samhsaNewsletter/Volume_18_Number_6/CirclesOfCare.aspx
Initial Goals, Opportunities for Success, and Illustrative Measures:
Goal: Support every U.S. community as it pursues its local health priorities.
Opportunities for success:
- Increase the provision of clinical preventive services for children and adults.
- Increase the adoption of evidence-based interventions to improve health.
- Percentage of children and adults screened for depression and receiving a documented follow-up plan.
- Percentage of adults screened for risky alcohol use and if positive, received brief counseling.
- Percentage of children and adults who use the oral health care system each year.
- Proportion of U.S. population served by community water systems with optimally fluoridated water.
Page originally created September 2012