Mental and Substance Use Disorders
HCUP Statistical Brief 249
Mental and substance use disorders are common in the United States. In 2016, over 55 million people aged 18 years and over suffered from mental and/or substance use disorders. Not only do mental and substance use disorders co-occur, they also are linked to other physical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and asthma.
Inpatient Stays Involving Mental and Substance Use Disorders, a statistical brief from the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, presents statistics from the 2016 National Inpatient Sample on inpatient stays involving mental and/or substance use disorders at community hospitals among patients aged 5 years or older.
- In 2016, nearly 10 million inpatient stays had a principal (2.2 million) or secondary (7.7 million) mental and/or substance use disorder diagnosis, constituting 6.1 and 21.7 percent of all inpatient stays, respectively.
- In total, stays principally for mental and/or substance use disorders cost $15.3 billion (3.6 percent of total hospital costs). On average, stays for cost $7,100 and were 6.4 days.
- The rate of stays principally for mental and/or substance use disorders was highest among adults aged 18-64 years.
- Nearly 60 percent of mental and/or substance use disorder stays for patients aged less than 65 years were billed to public payers.
- One in four stays principally for mental and/or substance use disorders were for depressive disorders. Alcohol-related disorders and schizophrenia each constituted nearly one in five mental and/or substance use disorder stays.
- Although uncommon, stays for eating disorders were the costliest ($19,400 per stay) and the longest (14 days, on average) type of mental and/or substance use disorder stay. Inpatient stays for schizophrenia were the second costliest ($8,900 per stay) and second longest (11 days on average) stay.
- The most common reason for mental and/or substance use disorder stays among males aged 45-64 years was alcohol-related disorders. Schizophrenia was the most common reason for stays for males aged 18-44 years.
Select to access Inpatient Stays Involving Mental and Substance Use Disorders.
Page originally created March 2019