Patient and Family Engagement in Primary Care
OpenNotes is a tool that gives patients access to their medical records so they can read encounter notes. Patients can access their notes online through the patient portal or in hard copy from a printout.
- Patient Access to Medical Notes in Primary Care: Improving Engagement and Safety—Case Study (PDF File, 198.42 KB).
- OpenNotes: Giving Patients Access to Medical Notes—For Providers (PDF File, 109.93 KB).
- OpenNotes for Patients: Access Your Own Medical Notes—For Patients (PDF File, 120.2 KB).
Partnering To Improve Safety, Quality, and the Patient Experience
A Patient and Family Advisory Committee (PFAC) is a group of patients, family members, office staff, and primary care providers working together to improve safety, quality, and the patient experience.
- Partnering With Patients To Improve Quality, Safety, and the Patient Experience—Case Study (PDF File, 147.54 KB).
- Partnering To Improve Safety, Quality, and the Patient Experience—For Providers (PDF File, 122.91 KB).
- Partnering To Improve Safety, Quality, and the Patient Experience—For Patients (PDF File, 122.95 KB).
Team-based care is a transformative method of delivering care that emphasizes teamwork. In addition to the patient and family, the care team may include a doctor or nurse practitioner, registered nurse, care team coordinator, schedule, and even pharmacist or social worker.
- Team-Based Primary Care: Convergence of Improving Engagement, Safety, and Enhanced Joy in Practice—Case Study (PDF File, 143.05 KB).
- Team-Based Care: Improving Safety, Engagement, and Joy—For Providers (PDF File, 89.69 KB).
- Team-Based Care: Work in Partnership With Your Health Care Team—For Patients (PDF File, 117.3 KB).
Shared decisionmaking is a way to work with your doctor to make decisions about your health care. It helps you and your family better understand your care and treatment options so you can select the care plan that is best for you.
- Shared Decisionmaking To Improve Patient Safety, Education, and Empowerment—Case Study (PDF File, 361 KB).
- Shared Decisionmaking: Improving Patient Safety, Education, and Empowerment—For Providers (PDF File, 97 KB).
- Shared Decisionmaking: Making the Best Decision for You—For Patients (PDF File, 152 KB).