- Totten AM, Hansen RN, Wagner J, Stillman L, Ivlev I, Davis-O’Reilly C, Towle C, Erickson JM, Erten-Lyons D, Fu R, Fann J, Babigumira JB, Palm-Cruz KJ, Avery M, McDonagh MS. Telehealth for Acute and Chronic Care Consultations. Comparative Effectiveness Review Number 216 (Prepared by Pacific Northwest Evidence-Based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2015-00009-I.) Rockville, MD; Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2019. AHRQ Publication No. 19-EHC012-EF. https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/products/telehealth-acute-chronic/research. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Totten AM, Womack DM, Eden KB, McDonagh MS, Griffin JC, Grusing S, Hersh WR. Telehealth: Mapping the Evidence for Patient Outcomes From Systematic Reviews. Technical Brief No. 26. (Prepared by the Pacific Northwest Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2015-00009-I.) Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; June 2016.AHRQ Publication No.16-EHC034-EF. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27536752/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Balogh EP, Miller BT, Ball JR, eds. National Academy of Medicine. Improving Diagnosis in Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2015. https://www.nap.edu/catalog/21794/improving-diagnosis-in-health-care. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- McLean S, Sheikh A, Cresswell K, et al. The impact of telehealthcare on the quality and safety of care: a systematic review. PLoS One 2013;8(8):e71238. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23977001/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Hertzog R, Johnson J, Smith J, et al. Diagnostic accuracy in primary care e-visits: evaluation of a large integrated health care delivery system’s experience. Mayo Clin Proc 2019;94(6):976-84. https://europepmc.org/article/med/31171135. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Ohta M, Ohira Y, Uehara T, et al. How accurate are first visit diagnoses using synchronous video visits with physicians? Telemed e-Health 2017;23(2):119-29. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27351424/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Amadi-Obi A, Gilligan P, Owens N, et al. Telemedicine in pre-hospital care: a review of telemedicine applications in the pre-hospital environment. Int J Emerg Med 2014;7(29). https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25635190/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Schoenfeld AJ, Davies JM, Marafino BJ, et al. Variation in quality of urgent health care provided during commercial virtual visits in urgent care: a standardized patient audit study. JAMA Intern Med 2016;176(5):635-642. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27042813/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Medicare Telemedicine Health Care Provider Fact Sheet. March 17, 2020. https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sheets/medicare-telemedicine-health-care-provider-fact-sheet. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- American Medical Association. AMA Telehealth Quick Guide. https://www.ama-assn.org/practice-management/digital/ama-quick-guide-telemedicine-practice. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- American Telemedicine Association. COVID-19 (Coronavirus). https://info.americantelemed.org/covid-19-news-updates. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Frog Design. Telehealth Toolbox. https://telehealthtoolbox.netlify.app/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Pappas Y, Vseteckova J, Mastellos N, et al. Diagnosis and decision-making in telemedicine. J Patient Exp 2019;6(4):296-304. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31853485/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Bertoncello C, Colucci M, Baldovin T, et al. How does it work? Factors involved in telemedicine home-interventions effectiveness: a review of reviews. PLoS One 2018;13(11). https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30440004/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Kvedar J. Twitter, April 23, 2020. https://twitter.com/jkvedar/status/1253496288525651968. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Zulman DM, Haverfield MC, Shaw JG, et al. Practices to foster physician presence and connection with patients in the clinical encounter. JAMA 2020;323(1):70-81. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31910284/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Inglis SC, Clark RA, Dierckx R, et al. Structured telephone support or non-invasive telemonitoring for patients with heart failure. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015(10):1-205:CD007228. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26517969/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Martinez KA, Rood M, Jhangiani N, et al. Patterns of use and correlates of patient satisfaction with a large nationwide direct to consumer telemedicine service. J Gen Intern Med 2018;33(10):1768-73. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30112737/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- NORC at the University of Chicago. Understanding the Impact of Health IT in Underserved Communities and Those With Health Disparities. Final Report. Washington, DC: The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. Department of Health and Human Services; 2013. https://www.healthit.gov/sites/default/files/hit_disparities_report_050713.pdf. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Greenberg-Worisek AJ, Kurani S, Finney Rutten LJ, et al. Tracking Healthy People 2020 internet, broadband, and mobile device access goals: an update using data from the Health Information National Trends Survey. J Med Internet Res 2019;21(6):e13300. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31237238/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- 2018 National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; September 2019. AHRQ Pub. No. 19-0070-EF. https://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/nhqrdr/nhqdr18/index.html. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Parker S, Prince A, Thomas L, et al. Electronic, mobile, and telehealth tools for vulnerable patients with chronic disease: a systematic review and realist synthesis. BMJ Open 2018;8(8). https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30158214/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- van der Kleij RMJJ, Kasteleyn MJ, Meijer E, et al. SERIES: eHealth in primary care. Part 1: Concepts, conditions, and challenges. Eur J Gen Pract 2019;25(4):179-89. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31597502/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Singh H, Sittig DF. Advancing the science of measurement of diagnostic errors in healthcare: the Safer Dx framework. BMJ Qual Saf 2015;24(2):103-10. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25589094/. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights. FAQs on Telehealth and HIPAA during the COVID-19 Nationwide Public Health Emergency. https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/telehealth-faqs-508.pdf. Accessed August 3, 2020.
- Building Capacity for Change
- Patient Safety Resources by Setting
- Quality Measures
- Engaging Patients and Families
- About AHRQ's Quality & Patient Safety Work
- Patient Safety News and Events
- Education & Training
Telediagnosis for Acute Care: Implications for the Quality and Safety of Diagnosis
Table of Contents
- Telediagnosis for Acute Care: Implications for the Quality and Safety of Diagnosis
- Evidence Base Supporting Telehealth
- Impact of Telediagnosis on Every Step of the Diagnostic Process
- Role of the Patient and Family in Telediagnosis
- Telehealth and Health Disparities
- Implications for Research, Policy, and Practice
- Table 1. Implications of Telediagnosis for Diagnostic Quality and Safety
Internet Citation: References. Content last reviewed August 2020. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD.