Publications and Additional Materials
- Odetola FO, Freed G, Shevrin C, Madden B, McCormick J, Dombkowski K. In-Hospital Quality-of-Care Measures for Pediatric Sepsis Syndrome. Pediatrics. 2017 Aug 1;140(2):e20170350.
- Simon TD, Cawthon ML, Popalisky J, Mangione-Smith R. Development and Validation of the Pediatric Medical Complexity Algorithm (PMCA) Version 2.0. Hosp Pediatr. 2017 Jul 1;7(7):373-7.
- Chien AT, Kuhlthau KA, Toomey SL, Quinn JA, Okumura MJ, Kuo DZ, Houtrow AJ, Van Cleave J, Landrum MB, Jang J, Janmey I. Quality of Primary Care for Children With Disabilities Enrolled in Medicaid. Acad Pediatr. 2017 Jun 30;17(4):443-9.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Calhoun SR, Reiter JG, Hill AS, Even-Shoshan O, Greeley WJ. Outcomes, ICU Use, and Length of Stay in Chronically Ill Black and White Children on Medicaid and Hospitalized for Surgery. J Am Coll Surg. 2017 May 31;224(5):805-14.
- Parast L, Burkhart Q, Desai AD, Simon TD, Allshouse C, Britto MT, Leyenaar JK, Gidengil CA, Toomey SL, Elliott MN, Schneider EC. Validation of New Quality Measures for Transitions Between Sites of Care. Pediatrics. 2017 Apr 14:e20164178.
- Toomey SL, Elliott MN, Zaslavsky AM, Klein DJ, Ndon S, Hardy S, Wu M, Schuster MA. Variation in family experience of pediatric inpatient care as measured by Child HCAHPS. Pediatrics. 2017 Apr 1;139(4):e20163372.
- Gidengil C, Parast L, Burkhart Q, Brown J, Elliott MN, Lion KC, McGlynn EA, Schneider EC, Mangione-Smith R. Development and Implementation of the Family Experiences With Coordination of Care Survey Quality Measures. Acad Pediatr. 2017 Mar 31.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Calhoun SR, Reiter JG, Hill AS, Guevara JP, Zorc JJ, Even-Shoshan O. Racial disparities in Medicaid asthma hospitalizations. Pediatrics. 2017 Jan 1;139(1):e20161221.
- Desai AD, Burkhart Q, Parast L, Simon TD, Allshouse C, Britto MT, Leyenaar JK, Gidengil CA, Toomey SL, Elliott MN, Schneider EC. Development and pilot testing of caregiver-reported pediatric quality measures for transitions between sites of care. Acad Pediatr. 2016 Dec 31;16(8):760-9.
- Gallo KP, Olin SS, Storfer-Isser A, O'Connor BC, Whitmyre ED, Hoagwood KE, Horwitz SM. Parent Burden in Accessing Outpatient Psychiatric Services for Adolescent Depression in a Large State System. Psychiatr Serv. 2016 Dec 1;68(4):411-4.
- Toomey SL, Elliott MN, Schwebel DC, Tortolero SR, Cuccaro PM, Davies SL, Kampalath V, Schuster MA. Relationship between adolescent report of patient-centered care and of quality of primary care. Acad Pediatr. 2016 Dec 31;16(8):770-6.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Wang W, Calhoun SR, Reiter JG, Even-Shoshan O, Greeley WJ. Practice Style Variation in Medicaid and Non-Medicaid Children With Complex Chronic Conditions Undergoing Surgery. Ann Surg. 2016 Nov. PMID: 27849665
- Schrager SM, Arthur KC, Nelson J, Edwards AR, Murphy JM, Mangione-Smith R, Chen AY. Development and validation of a method to identify children with social complexity risk factors. Pediatrics. 2016 Sep 1;138(3):e20153787.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Wang W, Ludwig JM, Calhoun S, Guevara JP, Zorc JJ, Zeigler A, Even-Shoshan O. Auditing practice style variation in pediatric inpatient asthma care. JAMA Pediatr. 2016 Sep 1;170(9):878-86.
- Leyenaar JK, Desai AD, Burkhart Q, Parast L, Roth CP, McGalliard J, Marmet J, Simon TD, Allshouse C, Britto MT, Gidengil CA. Quality measures to assess care transitions for hospitalized children. Pediatrics. 2016 Jul 28:e20160906.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Wang W, Calhoun S, Guevara JP, Zorc JJ, Even-Shoshan O. Practice Patterns in Medicaid and Non-Medicaid Asthma Admissions. Pediatrics. 2016 Jul 6:e20160371.
- Toomey SL, Peltz A, Loren S, Tracy M, Williams K, Pengeroth L, Marie AS, Onorato S, Schuster MA. Potentially preventable 30-day hospital readmissions at a children's hospital. Pediatrics. 2016 Jul 22:e20154182.
- Landrigan CP, Stockwell D, Toomey SL, Loren S, Tracy M, Jang J, Quinn JA, Ashrafzadeh S, Wang M, Sharek PJ, Parry G. Performance of the global assessment of pediatric patient safety (GAPPS) tool. Pediatrics. 2016 Jun 1;137(6):e20154076.
- Reeves SL, Madden B, Freed GL, Dombkowski KJ. Transcranial Doppler screening among children and adolescents with sickle cell anemia. JAMA Pediatr. 2016 Jun 1;170(6):550-6.
- Gardner W, Morton S, Tinoco A, Scholle SH, Canan BD, Kelleher KJ. Is It Feasible to Use Electronic Health Records for Quality Measurement of Adolescent Care?. J Healthc Qual. 2016 May 1;38(3):164-74.
- Forrest CB, Tucker CA, Ravens-Sieberer U, Pratiwadi R, Moon J, Teneralli RE, Becker B, Bevans KB. Concurrent validity of the PROMIS® pediatric global health measure. Qual Life Res. 2016 Mar 1;25(3):739-51.
- Lewandowski RE, O'Connor B, Bertagnolli A, Beck A, Tinoco A, Gardner WP, Jelinek-Berents CX, Newton DA, Wain KF, Boggs JM, Brace NE. Screening for and Diagnosis of Depression Among Adolescents in a Large Health Maintenance Organization. Psychiatr Serv. 2016 Feb 16;67(6):636-41.
- Finnerty M, Neese-Todd S, Pritam R, Leckman-Westin E, Bilder S, Byron SC, Scholle SH, Crystal S, Olfson M. Access to psychosocial services prior to starting antipsychotic treatment among medicaid-insured youth. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016 Jan 31;55(1):69-76.
- Deans KJ, Minneci PC, Nacion KM, Thackeray JD, Scholle SH, Kelleher KJ. A framework for developing healthcare quality measures for children and youth in foster care. Child Youth Serv Rev. 2015 Nov 30;58:146-52.
- Chien AT, Kuhlthau KA, Toomey SL, Quinn JA, Houtrow AJ, Kuo DZ, Okumura MJ, Van Cleave JM, Johnson CK, Mahoney LL, Martin J. Development of the children with disabilities algorithm. Pediatrics. 2015 Oct 1;136(4):e871-8.
- Khan A, Nakamura MM, Zaslavsky AM, Jang J, Berry JG, Feng JY, Schuster MA. Same-hospital readmission rates as a measure of pediatric quality of care. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Oct 1;169(10):905-12.
- Sawicki GS, Garvey KC, Toomey SL, Williams KA, Chen Y, Hargraves JL, Leblanc J, Schuster MA, Finkelstein JA. Development and validation of the adolescent assessment of preparation for transition: a novel patient experience measure. J Adolesc Health. 2015 Sep 30;57(3):282-7.
- Berry JG, Zaslavsky AM, Toomey SL, Chien AT, Jang J, Bryant MC, Klein DJ, Kaplan WJ, Schuster MA. Recognizing differences in hospital quality performance for pediatric inpatient care. Pediatrics. 2015 Jul 1:peds-2014.
- Toomey SL, Zaslavsky AM, Elliott MN, Gallagher PM, Fowler FJ, Klein DJ, Shulman S, Ratner J, McGovern C, LeBlanc JL, Schuster MA. The development of a pediatric inpatient experience of care measure: Child HCAHPS®. Pediatrics. 2015 Jul 1:peds-2015.
- Pati S, Wong AT, Calixte RE, Ludwig J, Zeigler A, Localio AR, Moon J, Silber JH. Medicaid and CHIP Retention Among Children in 12 States. Acad Pediatr. 2015 Jun 30;15(3):249-57.
- Wisk LE, Finkelstein JA, Sawicki GS, Lakoma M, Toomey SL, Schuster MA, Galbraith AA. Predictors of timing of transfer from pediatric-to adult-focused primary care. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Jun 1;169(6):e150951-.
- Stockwell DC, Bisarya H, Classen DC, Kirkendall ES, Landrigan CP, Lemon V, Tham E, Hyman D, Lehman SM, Searles E, Hall M. A trigger tool to detect harm in pediatric inpatient settings. Pediatrics. 2015 May 1:peds-2014.
- Desai AD, Popalisky J, Simon TD, Mangione-Smith RM. The effectiveness of family-centered transition processes from hospital settings to home: a review of the literature. Hosp Pediatr. 2015 Apr 1;5(4):219-31.
- Schuster MA. Measuring quality of pediatric care: where we've been and where we're going. Pediatrics. 2015 Apr 1;135(4):748-51.
- Academic Pediatrics Journal Supplement, September-October 2014
The supplement includes:
- An introduction to the supplement by Guest Editors Kulthau, Mistry, Forrest and Dougherty.
- An overview of the CHIPRA measures program by AHRQ and CMS staff.
- A series of articles by the PQMP Centers of Excellence (COEs):
- Developing Measures for Pediatric Quality: Methods and Experiences of the CHIPRA Pediatric Quality Measures Program Grantees.
- Concept and Measurement of Pediatric Value.
- Measuring Pediatric Hospital Readmission Rates to Drive Quality Improvement.
- Challenges to Measuring Variation in Readmission Rates of Neonatal Intensive Care Patients.
- Considerations and Evidence for an ADHD Outcome Measure.
- Identifying Sickle Cell Disease Cases Using Administrative Claims.
- Quality Concerns in Antipsychotic Prescribing for Youth: A Review of Treatment Guidelines.
- Using Medicaid and CHIP Claims Data to Support Pediatric Quality Measurement: Lessons From 3 Centers of Excellence in Measure Development.
- Addressing Electronic Clinical Information in the Construction of Quality Measures.
- Patient Reported Outcomes as Indicators of Pediatric Health Care Quality.
- Commentaries from individuals from AHRQ and CMS, the American Academy of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital Association, Family Voices, State CHIPRA Quality Demonstration grantees, and experts in quality measurement:
- A CHIPRA Quality Demonstration Grantee's Perspective on the Child Core Measure Set and Quality Measurement.
- A CHIPRA Quality Demonstration Grantee's Perspective on the CHIPRA Core Measures Set: Uses, Challenges, and the Future.
- The Importance of the Family Voice in Quality Measure Development for Children's Health Care.
- Quality Measures and the Practicing Pediatrician: Perspectives From the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- The Importance of the Pediatric Quality Measurement Program in Advancing Children's Health Care: A View From Children's Hospitals.
- Young and Reckless? Greater Standardization and Transparency of Performance Is Needed for Pediatric Performance Measures.
- An AHRQ and CMS Perspective on the Pediatric Quality Measures Program.
- Description of the 2013 Child Core Set Measurement Retirement effort. (Note: Supplemental Documents for this paper are available.)
- Gardner W, Morton S, Byron SC, Tinoco A, Canan BD, Leonhart K, Kong V, Scholle SH. Using Computer-Extracted Data from Electronic Health Records to Measure the Quality of Adolescent Well-Care. Health Serv Res. 2014 Aug 1;49(4):1226-48.
- Simon TD, Cawthon ML, Stanford S, Popalisky J, Lyons D, Woodcox P, Hood M, Chen AY, Mangione-Smith R. Pediatric medical complexity algorithm: a new method to stratify children by medical complexity. Pediatrics. 2014 Jun 1;133(6):e1647-54.
- Forrest CB, Bevans KB, Pratiwadi R, Moon J, Teneralli RE, Minton JM, Tucker CA. Development of the PROMIS® pediatric global health (PGH-7) measure. Qual Life Res. 2014 May 1;23(4):1221-31.
- Berlan ED, Ireland AM, Morton S, Byron SC, Canan BD, Kelleher KJ. Variations in measurement of sexual activity based on EHR definitions. Pediatrics. 2014 Apr 1:peds-2013.
- Guevara JP, Moon J, Hines EM, Fremont E, Wong A, Forrest CB, Silber JH, Pati S. Continuity of public insurance coverage: a systematic review of the literature. Med Care Res Rev. 2014 Apr;71(2):115-37.
- Bardach NS, Coker TR, Zima BT, Murphy JM, Knapp P, Richardson LP, Edwall G, Mangione-Smith R. Common and costly hospitalizations for pediatric mental health disorders. Pediatrics. 2014 Mar 1:peds-2013.
- Kenyon CC, Melvin PR, Chiang VW, Elliott MN, Schuster MA, Berry JG. Rehospitalization for childhood asthma: timing, variation, and opportunities for intervention. J Pediatr. 2014 Feb 28;164(2):300-5.
- Lion KC, Mangione-Smith R, Britto MT. Individualized plans of care to improve outcomes among children and adults with chronic illness: a systematic review. Care Manag J. 2014;15(1):11.
- Lomotan EA, Dougherty D. Pediatric Health Care Quality Measures: Considerations for Pharmacotherapy. Paediatr Drugs. 2013 Dec 1;15(6):441-7.
- Lewandowski RE, Acri MC, Hoagwood KE, Olfson M, Clarke G, Gardner W, Scholle SH, Byron S, Kelleher K, Pincus HA, Frank S. Evidence for the management of adolescent depression. Pediatrics. 2013 Oct 1;132(4):e996-1009.
- Zima BT, Murphy JM, Scholle SH, Hoagwood KE, Sachdeva RC, Mangione-Smith R, Woods D, Kamin HS, Jellinek M. National quality measures for child mental health care: background, progress, and next steps. Pediatrics. 2013 Mar 1;131(Supplement 1):S38-49.
- Berry JG, Toomey SL, Zaslavsky AM, Jha AK, Nakamura MM, Klein DJ, Feng JY, Shulman S, Chiang VW, Kaplan W, Hall M. Pediatric readmission prevalence and variability across hospitals. JAMA. 2013 Jan 23;309(4):372-80.
- Lorch SA. Quality measurements in pediatrics: what do they assess?. JAMA Pediatr. 2013 Jan 1;167(1):89-90.
Page last reviewed June 2018
Page originally created April 2017
Page originally created April 2017
Internet Citation: Publications and Additional Materials. Content last reviewed June 2018. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. https://www.ahrq.gov/pqmp/about/publications-and-materials/index.html