Private Performance Feedback Reporting for Physicians
Table of Contents
Example 1. Report showing a single physician's scores (column 2) compared to selected benchmarks (columns 3 and 4)
Example 5. Monthly run chart showing results of an individual practice site participating in a diabetes improvement collaborative
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Public Reports on Provider Performance for Consumers. Available at: www.ahrq.gov/path/publicreporting.htm. Accessed October 16, 2012.
- Teleki SS, Shaw R, Damberg CL, et al. Providing performance feedback to individual physicians: current practice and emerging lessons. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation; April 2006.
- Gliklich RE, Dreyer NA, eds. Registries for evaluating patient outcomes: a user's guide. 2nd ed. (Prepared by Outcome DEcIDE Center [Outcomes Sciences, Inc., d/b/a Outcome] under Contract No. HHSA290200500351 T03.) AHRQ Publication No. 10-EHC049. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; September 2010.
- Greene RA, Beckman H, Chamberlain J, et al. Increasing adherence to a community-based guideline for acute sinusitis through education, physician profiling, and financial incentives. Am J Manag Care 2004 Oct;10(10):670-8.
- Kiefe CI, Allison JJ, Williams OD, et al. Improving quality improvement using achievable benchmarks for physician feedback. JAMA 2001;285(22):2871-9.
- McCormack LA, Burrus BB, Garfinkel SA, et al. Providing information to help Medicare beneficiaries choose a health plan. J Aging Soc Policy 2001;12(2):49-72.
- Peters E, Dieckmann NF, Mertz CK, et al. Bringing meaning to numbers: the impact of evaluative categories on decisions. J Exp Psychol Appl 2009;15(3):213-27.
- Uhrig JD, Harris-Kojetin JL, Bann C, et al. Do content and format affect older consumers' use of comparative information in a Medicare health plan choice? Results from a controlled experiment. Med Care Res Rev 2006;63(6):701-18.
- Fasolo B, Reutskaja E, Dixon A, et al. Helping patients choose: how to improve the design of comparative scorecards of hospital quality. Patient Educ Couns 2010;78(3):344-9.
- Hoy EW, Kenney E, Talavera AC. Engaging consumers in designing a guide to Medi-Cal care quality. California Healthcare Foundation; 2004. Available at: www.chcf.org/~/media/MEDIA%20LIBRARY%20Files/PDF/E/PDF%20EngagingConsumersInAGuideToMediCalManagedCare.pdf. Accessed December 4, 2011.
- Gerteis M, Gerteis JS, Newman D, et al. Testing consumers' comprehension of quality measures using alternative reporting formats. Health Care Financ Rev 2007 Spring;28(3):31-45.
- Lipkus IM, Peters E. Understanding the role of numeracy in health: proposed theoretical framework and practical insights. Health Educ Behav 2009;36(6):1065-81.
- Gaissmaier W, Wegwarth O, Skopec D, et al. Numbers can be worth a thousand pictures: individual differences in understanding graphical and numerical representations of health-related information. Health Psychol 2012;31(3):288-96.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule. Available at: www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/index.html. Accessed October 16, 2012.
- Guidelines for reporting physician data. Chicago: American Medical Association; 2012. Available at: www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/psa/physician-reporting-guidelines.pdf. Accessed October 16, 2012.
- Conway AC, Keller RB, Wennberg DE. Partnering with physicians to achieve quality improvement. Jt Comm J Qual Improv 1995;21:619-26.
- Jamtvedt G, Young JM, Kristofferson DT, et al. Audit and feedback: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006 Apr 19;(2):CD000259.
- Ivers N, Jamtvedt G, Flottorp S, et al. Audit and feedback: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012 June 13;6:CD000259.
- Kanouse DE, Jacoby I. When does information change practitioners' behavior? Int J Technol Assess Health Care 1988;4:27-33.
- Bloom BS. Effects of continuing medical education on improving physician clinical care and patient health: a review of systematic reviews. Int J Technol Assess Health Care 2005;21:380-5.
- Quigley DD, Wiseman SH, Farley DO. Improving performance for health plan customer service: a case study of a successful CAHPS quality improvement intervention. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation; August 2007.
Return to Contents
Proceed to Next Section
Page last reviewed November 2012
Page originally created November 2012
Page originally created November 2012
Internet Citation: References. Content last reviewed November 2012. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/clinicians-providers/resources/privfeedbackgdrpt/privfeedbackgdrptref.html