Advancing Pharmacy Health Literacy Practices Through Quality Improvement
These curricular modules were created to help pharmacy faculty integrate health literacy and health literacy quality improvement into courses, experiential education and projects for PharmD students and pharmacy residents. The curricular modules can be used or adapted for lectures, seminars, laboratory classes and other courses deemed appropriate by faculty. The modules can also be used in pharmacy experiential education, including both Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPE) and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPE). Finally, the curricular modules offer valuable activities and content for PharmD students and pharmacy residents' projects. The following components can be used in courses, in experiential education, and for projects:
- Four PowerPoint® slide decks (each 50 minutes) covering:
- Health Literacy in Pharmacy: Introduction.
- Health Literacy in Pharmacy: Communication Strategies.
- Advancing Health Literacy Practices in Pharmacy through Quality Improvement—Part I.
- Advancing Health Literacy Practices in Pharmacy through Quality Improvement—Part II.
- Seventeen Activity Guides that address four main topic areas:
- Increasing Awareness of Health Literacy in Pharmacy (seven Activity Guides).
- Improving Communication in Pharmacy (four Activity Guides).
- Assessing the Health Literacy Practices of Pharmacies (four Activity Guides).
- Conducting Health Literacy Quality Improvement in Pharmacies (two Activity Guides).
- Resources to provide faculty and students with background information and references for the topics covered in the curricular modules.
Page originally created December 2011