Integrating Primary Care Practices and Community-based Resources to Manage Obesity
Tool 6. Worksheet: Establishing Protocols for BMI Screening
Who: Project Team (to plan); Clinic-wide (to implement and refine)
What: Standardize protocol for obtaining BMI at each patient visit
- BMI chart(s)
- Clinic chart audit data
- Clinic observation notes
- Resource: Mapping Clinic Flow Template
- Resource: BMI Screening Protocol Template
Project Team Meeting Agenda (Part 1)
- Review data from chart audit and observation notes.
- Outline current BMI screening process.
- Identify challenges to obtaining BMI at each visit.
- Height not obtained?
- BMI not calculated?
- Scale in "wrong location?"
- Draft BMI screening protocols.
- Develop and Implement Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) cycle to test.
Project Team Meeting Agenda (Part 2)
- Review PDSA cycle and refine BMI screening protocols as needed.
- Conduct additional PDSA cycles as needed and refine protocol.
- Develop plan to spread protocol across practice.
Project Team Meeting Agenda (Part 3)
- Review protocol spread—Where is it working really well? When is it not working?
- Refine protocol.
- Develop follow-up Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) interventions as needed.
Page originally created May 2014