Practice Facilitation Handbook
Module 1 Trainer’s Guide: Practice Facilitation as a Resource for Practice Improvement
Table of Contents
Module 1 Trainer's Guide
- Presession preparation for learners: 30 minutes
- Session: 85 minutes
- Followup by trainer: 30-60 minutes
__ Internet access and video display.
__ Online access or paper copy for each learner of:
- Baskerville NB, Liddy C, Hogg W. Systematic review and meta-analysis of practice facilitation within primary care settings. Ann Fam Med 2012;10(1):63-74. Available at: http://annfammed.org/content/10/1/63.full.pdf.
- Practice Facilitator Professional Development and Training Plan. Go to Appendix Module 1 [ PDF version - 858.76 KB ].
- Be able to describe the function and key activities of a practice facilitator.
- Be able to describe the core competencies of practice facilitators.
- Create a Practice Facilitator Professional Development Plan based on information from this module.
Exercises and Activities To Complete Before, During, and After the Session
Read (30 minutes)
- Module 1.
- Baskerville NB, Liddy C, Hogg W. Systematic review and meta-analysis of practice facilitation within primary care settings. Ann Fam Med, 2012;10(1):63-74. Available at: http://annfammed.org/content/10/1/63.full.pdf.
During the Session
Present/review (25 minutes)
- Module 1.
Read and discuss (15 minutes)
- Discuss content of the module:
- What is the purpose and goal of practice facilitation?
- What skills do facilitators need?
- Discuss the Baskerville article and the evidence supporting practice facilitation.
Act (45 minutes)
- Introduce the Practice Facilitator Professional Development and Training Plan form to the learners
- Explain that the form will be used to design training, both didactic and experiential, tailored to their specific learning needs.
- Explain that the form is based on core competencies that practice facilitators need to introduce continuous quality improvement in a practice and to support implementation of the Care Model, the patient-centered medical home, and meaningful use.
- Ask each learner to complete the Practice Facilitator Professional Development and Training Plan using the paper form contained in the Appendix.
Note: It is helpful to enter the items into an online survey platform and use this to collect and monitor this information for participants.
After the Session (For Trainer only – 30 to 60 minutes, depending on number of learners)
- Review the Practice Facilitator Professional Development and Training Plans completed by the learners during Module 1.
- Use Plans to identify learners who rate themselves as “very confident” in specific areas to engage as co-leaders for future training sessions.
- Use results of plans to determine which topics to emphasize in future trainings and to identify areas where existing training materials may need to be supplemented with additional content.
Page originally created May 2013