Toolkit for Reducing Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections in Hospital Units: Implementation Guide
Appendix D. Poster on Indications for Urinary Catheters
Table of Contents
This poster educates staff on the appropriate indications and nonindications for use of indwelling urinary catheters.
In lower right, use Adobe Acrobat Pro to insert contact information for your institution.
Does your patient really need that catheter?
Appropriate indications for urinary catheters include:
- Perioperative use in selected surgeries
- Acute urinary retention or obstruction
- Hospice/comfort care/palliative care
- Accurate measurement of urinary output in critically ill patients
- Required strict immobilization for trauma or surgery
- Assistance in healing of severe perineal and sacral wounds in incontinent patients
[insert contact information]
Page originally created October 2015