Medications at Transitions and Clinical Handoffs (MATCH) Toolkit for Medication Reconciliation
Appendix: The MATCH Work Plan
The work plan supports implementation of MATCH by providing a central place to document key team decisions and outcomes related to the project. While the toolkit explains how the MATCH process works and includes examples to illustrate it, the work plan is a support document to operationalize that process for your facility. It also serves as a reference to keep the team on track throughout the process of planning, implementation, and analysis. The work plan will help you do the following steps:
Engage the patient and caregiver in the medication reconciliation process.
- Build the project foundation by assembling a leadership and process design team.
- Establish a charter to guide your team.
- Determine a scope for your project that meets facility needs.
- Define roles and responsibilities of each staff member involved in the medication reconciliation process in your facility.
- Develop a flowchart of your current process to determine where the process can be improved.
- Develop/redesign a medication reconciliation process, including identification of a single list of medications for each patient, known as the "One Source of Truth" document.
- Determine a data collection strategy and assess and evaluate the process to track your progress and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Implement/integrate the process within the workflow of your facility.
- Use post-implementation audit findings to educate staff and increase and sustain compliance.
Questions to Ask When Developing Your Design Team and Rationale
Assembling a Medication Reconciliation Team
Developing Your Charter
Determining the Scope of the Project
Develop a Flowchart of Your Current Medication Reconciliation Process
Developing/Redesigning the Process
Building the Foundation for Your Medication Reconciliation Process Design
Data Collection Strategy, Assessment, and Process Evaluation
Example of Metrics on Admission: Illinois Hospital Association Medication Reconciliation Collaborative
Sample Letter to Discipline-Specific Leaders on Meeting Regarding Training and Implementation Strategy for Medication Reconciliation
Sample Communication from Discipline-Specific Leadership to Staff on Medication Reconciliation Educational Training Sessions
Sample Staff Flier to Announce Rollout/Implementation of Medication Reconciliation Process
Post-Implementation Strategies to Increase and Sustain Compliance
MATCH Resources for Patients
Page originally created August 2012