Medications at Transitions and Clinical Handoffs (MATCH) Toolkit for Medication Reconciliation
- Rozich JD, Resar RK. Medication safety: one organization's approach to the challenge. J Clin Outcomes Manage 2001;8(10):27-34.
- Cornish PL, Knowles SR, Marchesano R, et al. Unintended medication discrepancies at the time of hospital admission. Arch Intern Med 2005;165(4):424-9.
- Gleason KM, Groszek JM, Sullivan C, et al. Reconciliation of discrepancies in medication histories and admission orders of newly hospitalized patients. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2004;61(16):1689-95.
- Gleason KM, McDaniel MR, Feinglass J, et al. Results of the Medications At Transitions and Clinical Handoffs (MATCH) Study: an analysis of medication reconciliation errors and risk factors at hospital admission. J Gen Intern Med 2010;25(5):441-7.
- Bell CM, Brener SS, Gunrai N, et al. Association of ICU or hospital admission with unintentional discontinuation of medications for chronic diseases. JAMA 2011;306(8):840-7.
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Preventing Medication Errors: Quality Chasm Series, 2006. http://iom.edu/Reports/2006/Preventing-Medication-Errors-Quality-Chasm-Series.aspx. Accessed December 1, 2011.
- Bates DW, Spell N, Cullen DJ, et al. The costs of adverse drug events in hospitalized patients. Adverse Drug Events Prevention Study Group. JAMA 1997; 277(4):307-11.
- Jha AK, Kuperman GJ, Rittenberg E, et al. Identifying hospital admissions due to adverse drug events using a computer-based monitor. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2001;10(2):113-9.
- The Joint Commission. National Patient Safety Goals Effective July 1, 2011. Hospital Accreditation Program. http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/NPSG_EPs_Scoring_HAP_20110706.pdf. Accessed November 2011.
- Gleason KM, Groszek JM, Sullivan C, et al. Reconciliation of discrepancies in medication histories and admission orders of newly hospitalized patients. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2004;61(16):1689-95.
- Kutner M, Greenberg E, Jin Y, Paulsen C. The Health Literacy of America's Adults: Results from the 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy. U.S. Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), 2006. NCES Publication No. 2006-483.
- DeWalt DA, Berkman ND, Sheridan S, et al. Literacy and health outcomes: a systematic review of the literature. J Gen Intern Med 2004;19(12):1228-39.
- DeWalt DA, Hink, AB Health literacy and child health outcomes: a systematic review of the literature. Pediatrics 2009;124 Suppl 3:S265-74.
- Rudd RE, Anderson JE, Oppenheimer S, Nath C. Health Literacy: An Update of Public Health and Medical Literature. In Comings JP, Garner B, Smith C (eds), Review of Adult Learning and Literacy. Vol 7. Mahway, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; p.175-204.
- DeWalt DA, Callahan LF, Hawk VH, Broucksou KA, Hink A, Rudd R, Brach C. Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit. (Prepared by North Carolina Network Consortium, The Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, under Contract No. HHSA290200710014.) AHRQ Publication No. 10-0046-EF) Rockville, MD. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. April 2010.
- Kessels RP. Patients' memory for medical information. J R Soc Med May 2003;96(5):219-22.
- Anderson JL, Dodman S, Kopelman M, Fleming A. Patient information recall in a rheumatology clinic. Rheumatology 1979;18(1):18-22.
- Schillinger D, Piette J, Grumbach K, et al. Closing the loop: physician communication with diabetic patients who have low health literacy. Arch Intern Med 2003;163(1):83-90.
- Borson S, Scanlan JM, Watanabe J, Tu SP, Lessig M. Simplifying detection of cognitive impairment: comparison of the Mini-Cog and Mini-Mental State Examination in a multiethnic sample. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005 May;53(5):871-4.
- Borson S, Scanlan JM, Chen P, Ganguli M. The Mini-Cog as a screen for dementia: validation in a population-based sample. J Am Geriatr Soc 2003 Oct;51(10):1451-4.
- Baker DW, Williams MV, Parker RM, et al. Development of a brief test to measure functional health literacy. Patient Educ Couns 1999;38:33-42.
- Davis TC, Long SW, Jackson RH, et al. Rapid estimate of adult literacy in medicine: a shortened screening instrument. Fam Med 1993;25:391-5.
- Jastak S, Wilkinson GS. WRAT-R, Wide Range Achievement Test, Administration Manual, Revised Edition. Wilmington, DE: Jastak Assessment Systems; 1984.
- Parker RM, Baker DW, Williams MV, Nurss JR. The Test of Functional Health Literacy in Adults (TOFHLA): a new instrument for measuring patient's literacy skills. J Gen Intern Med 1995;10:537-42.
Page last reviewed August 2012
Page originally created August 2012
Page originally created August 2012
Internet Citation: References. Content last reviewed August 2012. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patient-safety-resources/resources/match/references.html