Nursing Home Comparative Database Submission Information
Purpose of the Database
Benefits of Participation and Database Products
Definition of a Nursing Home
Timeline and Activities
Registration and Data Submission
Data Processing and Comparative Database Report Produced
- To gather data from the AHRQ Nursing Home Survey on Patient Safety Culture into a central repository for comparative purposes.
- To produce comparative results to help nursing homes identify strengths and opportunities for improvement in their patient safety culture.
- Each participating nursing home receives a feedback report comparing their results to the comparative database.
- A free Comparative Database Report is produced providing aggregate nursing home-level statistics. The documents do not include any information identifying participating nursing homes.
- Additional results by nursing home characteristics (e.g., bed size and ownership) and respondent characteristics (job title and nursing home work area, interaction with residents, and shift worked) are also available in the Comparative Database Report.
- A nursing home is a facility or a special contained area of a facility that has only licensed nursing home beds and is not an assisted living, community care, or independent living facility.
To submit data to the database:
- Nursing homes must be located in the United States or in a U.S. territory.
- Each nursing home must have at least 10 completed surveys.
- The survey must have been administered in its entirety without significant modifications or deletions:
- No changes to any of the survey item text and response options.
- No reordering of survey items.
- Questions added only at the end of the survey after Section E, or before the demographic questions in Section F.
- Nursing homes, systems/chains, or survey vendors that have administered the AHRQ Nursing Home Survey on Patient Safety Culture indicate their interest in participating in the database by sending an Email with "Nursing Home Database" in the subject line to DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com.
- Database staff send registration information to interested submitters.
- Nursing homes, systems/chains, or vendors submitting on behalf of nursing homes complete registration information.
- Database staff review the registration information and request a copy of the survey(s) actually administered. Interested submitters are notified regarding their eligibility for participation.
- Eligible nursing homes, systems/chains, or vendors:
- Should follow these survey-data specifications (PDF File, 128 KB] for formatting respondent-level data files for submission.
- Provide Medicare Provider ID and nursing home characteristics such as bed size and ownership status. Follow these specifications to gather nursing home characteristics (PDF File, 50 KB).
- Sign a Data Use Agreement (PDF File, 1.13 MB], which assures nursing homes about the confidentiality of their data and explains how their data will be used.
- Eligible nursing homes, systems/chains, or vendors submit respondent-level survey data and other required information about their survey administration.
- Data are submitted using a secure, Web-based system (https:// www.sops-database.org/nursinghome).
- Data files must meet data specifications.
- The data submitted are processed, and averages, standard deviations, minimum and maximum scores, and percentiles are produced.
- Additional results by nursing home characteristics such as bed size and ownership and respondent characteristics such as job title, work area, interaction with residents, and shift worked are produced.
- The 2016 User Comparative Database Report presents data from 12,395 staff in 209 nursing homes. The Appendixes present data by various nursing home characteristics (bed size, ownership, census region, and urban/rural status) and respondent characteristics (job title, work area, interaction with residents, shift worked most often, and tenure in nursing home).
If you are interested in participating in the Nursing Home Survey on Patient Safety Culture Comparative Database, send an email to: DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com with your complete contact information and "Nursing Home Database" in the subject line. For technical assistance on data submission, call 1-888-324-9790.
Page originally created April 2014