Community Pharmacy Database Submission Information
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has established the Community Pharmacy Survey on Patient Safety Culture Database, a central repository for survey data from community pharmacies that administer the AHRQ Community Pharmacy Survey on Patient Safety Culture and voluntarily submit their data to the database.
Purpose of the Database
Benefits of Participation and Database Products
Definition of a Community Pharmacy
Timeline and Activities
Registration and Data Submission
Data Processing and Database Report Produced
- To gather data from the AHRQ Community Pharmacy Survey on Patient Safety Culture into a central repository.
- To produce results to help pharmacies identify strengths and opportunities for improvement in their patient safety culture.
- Each participating pharmacy will receive a free, customized feedback report that displays their pharmacy's results against the database.
- A free Database Report will be produced providing aggregate pharmacy-level statistics. The documents do not include any information identifying participating pharmacies.
- Additional results by pharmacy characteristics (type of pharmacy, number of affiliated locations, and average number of prescriptions filled per week) and respondent characteristics (staff position and tenure in pharmacy) are also available in the Database Report.
- A pharmacy is defined as a community pharmacy in a specific location.
- Each pharmacy that is part of a pharmacy chain or health care system is considered a separate pharmacy.
To submit data to the database:
- Pharmacies must be located in the United States or in a U.S. territory.
- Each pharmacy must have at least five completed surveys.
- The survey must have been administered in its entirety without significant modifications or deletions:
- No changes to any of the survey item text and response options.
- No reordering of survey items.
- Questions added only at the end of the survey, or after Section E, before the demographic questions in Section F.
Registration and Data Submission
To submit to the Community Pharmacy Database, follow these steps:
- Pharmacies, systems/chains, or survey vendors that have administered the AHRQ Community Pharmacy Survey on Patient Safety Culture indicate their interest in participating in the database by sending an Email with "Community Pharmacy Database" in the subject line to DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com.
- Database staff send registration information to interested submitters.
- Community pharmacies, systems/chains, or vendors submitting on behalf of pharmacies complete registration information.
- Database staff review the registration information and request a copy of the survey(s) actually administered. Interested submitters are notified regarding their eligibility for participation.
- Eligible pharmacies, systems/chains, or vendors:
- Should follow these survey data specifications ( PDF version - 72 KB ) for formatting respondent-level data files for submission.
- Provide pharmacy NPI number and pharmacy characteristics such as pharmacy type, number of locations, and number of prescriptions per week. Follow these specifications to gather pharmacy characteristics ( PDF version - 37 KB ).
- Sign a Data Use Agreement ( PDF version - 231 KB ), which assures pharmacies about the confidentiality of their data and explains how their data will be used. .
- Eligible pharmacies, systems/chains, or vendors submit respondent-level survey data and other required information about their survey administration.
- Data are submitted using a secure, Web-based system (https://www.sops-database.org/pharmacy).
- Data files must meet data specifications.
- The data submitted is processed, and averages, standard deviations, minimum and maximum scores, and percentiles are produced.
- Additional results by pharmacy characteristics such as pharmacy type, number of locations, number of prescriptions per week, and respondent characteristics such as staff positions and tenure in pharmacy are produced.
- The 2015 User Database Report presents data from 1,603 staff in 255 community pharmacies. The Appendixes present data by various community pharmacy characteristics (average number of prescriptions filled per week and geographic region) and respondent characteristics (staff position).
If you are interested in participating in the Community Pharmacy Survey on Patient Safety Culture Database, send an email to: DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com with your complete contact information and "Community Pharmacy Database" in the subject line.
For technical assistance on data submission, call 1-888-324-9790.
Page originally created July 2014