Re-Engineered Discharge (RED) Toolkit
Tool 1: Overview (continued)
- Benbassat J, Taragin M. Hospital readmissions as a measure of quality of health care: advantages and limitations. Arch Intern Med 2000;160(8):1074-81.
- Jack BW, Chetty VK, Anthony D, et al. A re-engineered hospital discharge program to decrease rehospitalization: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2009;150(3):179-97.
- Boutwell A, Griffin F, Hwu S, et al. Effective interventions to reduce rehospitalizations. a compendium of 15 promising interventions. Cambridge, MA: Institute for Healthcare Improvement; 2009.
- Commission on a High Performance Health System. National scorecard on U.S. health system performance, Chartpack. New York, NY: The Commonwealth Fund; July 2008. Available at: http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Publications/Fund-Reports/2008/Jul/Why-Not-the-Best--Results-from-the-National-Scorecard-on-U-S--Health-System-Performance--2008.aspx . Accessed June 8, 2012.
- Kanaan SB. Homeward bound: nine patient-centered programs cut readmissions. Oakland: California Healthcare Foundation; 2009.
- Leonhardt K, Bonin K, Pagel P. Guide for developing a community-based patient safety advisory council. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; April 2008. AHRQ Publication No. 08-0048. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patient-safety-resources/resources/patient-safety-advisory-council/patient-safety-advisory-council.pdf [Plugin Software Help]. Accessed November 16, 2009.
- Minott J. Reducing hospital readmissions. Washington, DC: AcademyHealth; November 2008. Available at: http://www.academyhealth.org/files/publications/Reducing_Hospital_Readmissions.pdf [Plugin Software Help]. Accessed December 17, 2009.
- Jencks SF, Williams MV, Coleman EA. Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program. N Engl J Med 2009;360:1418-28.
- Kripalani S, LeFevre F, Phillips C, et al. Deficits in communication and information transfer between hospital-based and primary care physicians: implications for patient safety and continuity of care. JAMA 2007 Feb 28;297(8):831-41.
- Roy CL, Poon EG, Karson AS, et al. Patient safety concerns arising from test results that return after hospital discharge. Ann Intern Med 2005;143(2):121-8.
- Moore C, McGinn T, Halm E. Discharging patients with unresolved medical issues. Arch Intern Med 2007;167:1305-11.
- Levinson D. Adverse events in hospitals: overview of key issues. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General; December 2008. HHS Publication No. OEI-06-07-00470. Available at: http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-06-07-00470.pdf [Plugin Software Help ]. Accessed July 27, 2012.
- Forster AJ, Clark HD, Menard A, et al. Adverse events among medical patients after discharge from hospital. CMAJ 2004;170(3):345-9.
- Safe practices for better healthcare—2009 update: a consensus report. Washington, DC: National Quality Forum; 2009. Available at: http://www.qualityforum.org/Publications/2009/03/Safe_Practices_for_Better_Healthcare%E2%80%932009_Update.aspx . Accessed July 27, 2012.
- Quality Improvement Organizations 9th Statement of Work Preproposal Conference, January 28, 2008, Baltimore, Maryland, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Reporting to the Congress: promoting greater efficiency in Medicare. Washington, DC: MedPac; 2007.
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Report to the Congress: reforming the delivery system. Washington, DC: MedPac; 2008.
- PPACA&HCERA. Public Laws 111-148&111-152: Consolidated Print; 311-6. Available at: http://www.ncsl.org/documents/health/ppaca-consolidated.pdf [Plugin Software Help ]. Accessed July 27, 2012.
- Greenwald JL, Denham CRD, Jack BW. The hospital discharge: a review of a care transition with a high potential for errors and highlights of a re-engineered discharge process. J Patient Saf 2007 Jun;3(2):97-106.
- Anthony D, Chetty VK, Kartha A, et al. Re-engineering the hospital discharge: an example of a multifaceted process evaluation. In: Henriksen K, Battles JB, Marks ES, et al., eds. Advances in patient safety: from research to implementation. Vol. 2, Concepts and methodology. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; February 2005. AHRQ Publication No. 05-0021-2. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patient-safety-resources/resources/advances-in-patient-safety/vol2/Anthony.pdf [Plugin Software Help ]. Accessed July 27, 2012.
- Henriksen K, Battles JB, Keyes MA, et al., eds. Advances in patient safety: new directions and alternative approaches. Vol. 4, Technology and medication safety. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; August 2008. AHRQ Publication No. 08-0034-4. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patient-safety-resources/resources/advances-in-patient-safety-2/index.html#v4. Accessed July 27, 2012.
- Shepperd S, Parkes J, McClaran JJM, et al. Discharge planning from hospital to home. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2004, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD000313.
Page originally created March 2013