Universal ICU Decolonization: An Enhanced Protocol
Appendix E. Training and Educational Materials (continued)
Universal ICU Decolonization
- Use chlorhexidine (CHG) baths in place of daily bathing with soap and water.
- Massage firmly into skin to bind skin proteins and prevent bacteria for 24 hours.
- Give CHG baths every day for entire ICU stay.
- Use nasal mupirocin twice a day for 5 days of ICU stay.
- Only use CHG-compatible lotions.
- Restart entire protocol for readmitted ICU patients.
- Clean 6 inches of tubing closest to body.
- Use over superficial wounds, including stages 1 and 2 decubitus ulcers.
- Do NOT use above jawline.
- Do NOT rinse or wipe off CHG. Let air dry.
- Do NOT flush CHG cloths (discard in trash, not toilet or commode).
- Do NOT continue protocol after ICU discharge.
- Do NOT include patients who are allergic to mupirocin and/or CHG.
Refer To Decolonization Protocol for Step-By-Step Instructions
Page originally created September 2013