Identifying Key Areas for Delivery System Research
- Guterman S, Davis K, Stremikis K, et al. Innovation in Medicare and Medicaid will be central to health reform's success. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010;29(6):1188-93.
- Masica AL, Ballard DJ. The protean role of health care delivery organizations in comparative effectiveness research. Mayo Clin Proc 2009;84(12):1062-4.
- Federal Coordinating Council for Comparative Effectiveness Research. Report to the President and the Congress. Washington, DC: June 30, 2009.
- Committee on Comparative Effectiveness Research Prioritization, Institute of Medicine. Initial national priorities for comparative effectiveness research. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2009.
- Robinson JC. The corporate practice of medicine: competition and innovation in health care. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press; 1999.
- Robinson JC, Casalino L. The growth of medical groups paid through capitation in California. New Engl J Med 1995;333(25):1684-7.
- Casalino L. Canaries in a coal mine: California physician groups and competition. Health Aff (Millwood) 2001;20(4):97-108.
- Casalino L, Robinson JC. The evolution of medical groups and capitation in California. Oakland, CA: California Healthcare Foundation; 1997.
- Shortell SM. Increasing value: a research agenda for addressing the managerial and organizational challenges facing health care delivery in the United States. Med Care Res Rev 2004;61(3; Suppl):12S-30S.
- Hughes R, Clancy CM. So what? The challenge of doing "need to know" vs. "would like to know" research. Appl Nurs Res 2007;20(4):210-3.
- Lawrence DM. Chronic disease care: rearranging the deck chairs. Ann Intern Med 2005;143(6):458-9.
- Crosson FJ. The delivery system matters. Health Aff (Millwood) 2005;24(6):1543-8.
- Chin MH, Goldmann D. Meaningful disparities reduction through research and translation programs. JAMA 2011;305(4):404-5.
- Jost TS, Casalino LP. Value-based purchasing opportunities in traditional Medicare: a proposal and legal evaluation. In: Elhauge ER, ed. The fragmentation of U.S. health care: causes and solutions. New York: Oxford University Press; 2010.
- Dudley RA, Landon BE, Rubin HR, et al. Assessing the relationship between quality of care and the characteristics of health care organizations. Med Care Res Rev 2000;57(Suppl 2):116-35.
- Casalino LP. Which type of medical group provides higher-quality care? Ann Intern Med 2006;145(11):860-1.
- Weeks WB, Gottlieb DJ, Nyweide DJ, et al. Higher health care quality and bigger savings found at large multispecialty medical groups. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010;29(5):991-7.
- Ovretveit J. The contribution of new social science research to patient safety. Social Sci Med 2009;69(12):1780-3.
- Alexander JA. Methods and metrics issues in delivery system research. AHRQ Expert Meeting on the Challenge and Promise of Delivery System Research; 2011 Feb 16; Sterling, VA. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/systems/system/delivery-system-initiative/alexander/alexander.html. Accessed January 7, 2014.
- Rundall TG, Shortell SM, Wang MC, et al. As good as it gets? Chronic care management in nine leading U.S. physician organizations. BMJ 2002;325:958-61.
- Kralewski J, Wingert T, Barbouche M. Assessing the culture of medical group practices. Med Care 1996;34:377-88.
- Kralewski J, Dowd BE, Kaissi A, et al. Measuring the culture of medical group practices. Health Care Manage Rev 2005;30(3):184-93.
- Kralewski JE, Dow BE, Heaton A, et al. The influence of the structure and culture of medical group practices on prescription drug errors. Med Care 2005;43(8):817-25.
- Ovretveit J. Improvement leaders: what do they and should they do: a summary of a review of research. Qual Saf Health Care 2010;19(6):490-2.
- Conrad DA, Perry L. Quality-based financial incentives in health care: can we improve quality by paying for it? Annu Rev Public Health 2009;30:357-71.
- Fung CH, Lim Y-W, Mattke S, et al. Systematic review: the evidence that publishing patient care performance data improves quality of care. Ann Intern Med 2008;148(2):111-23.
- Iglehart JK. Assessing an ACO prototype: Medicare's physician group practice demonstration. New Engl J Med 2011;364(3):198-200.
- Nyweide DJ, Weeks WB, Gottlieb DJ, et al. Relationship of Primary care physician's patient caseload with measurement of quality and cost performance. JAMA 2009;302(22):2444-50.
- Ho AD. The problem with "proficiency": limitations of statistics and policy under No Child Left Behind. Educ Res 2008;37(6):351-60.
- Landon BE, Normand S-L. Performance measurement in the small office practice: challenges and potential solutions. Ann Intern Med 2008;148(5):353-7.
- Adams JL, Mehrotra A, Thomas JW, et al. Physician cost profiling - reliability and risk of misclassification. New Engl J Med 2010;362:1014-21.
- Chien AT, Chin MH. Incorporating disparity reduction into pay-for-performance. J Gen Intern Med 2008;24(1):135-6.
- Werner RM, Asch DA. The unintended consequences of publicly reporting quality information. JAMA 2005;293(10):1239-44.
- Shekelle PG, Pronovost PJ, Wachter RM. Assessing the evidence for context-sensitive effectiveness and safety of patient safety practices: developing criteria. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; December 2010.
- McGowan JJ, Cusack CM, Poon EG. Formative evaluation: a critical component in EHR implementation. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2008;15(3):297-301.
Page last reviewed February 2014
Page originally created January 2014
Page originally created January 2014
Internet Citation: References. Content last reviewed February 2014. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/systems/system/delivery-system-initiative/casalino/paper/idkeydsr4.html