- Cassedy A, Fairbrother G, Newacheck P. The impact of insurance instability on children's access, utilization, and satisfaction with health care. Ambul Pediatr 2008 Sep-Oct;8(5):321-8. PMID: 18922506. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1530156708001172. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Guevara J, Moon J, Hines E, et al. Continuity of public insurance coverage: a systematic review of the literature. Med Care Res Rev 2014;71(2):115-37. PMID: 24227811. http://mcr.sagepub.com/content/71/2/115.long. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Kenney G, Pelletier J. Monitoring duration of coverage in Medicaid and CHIP to assess program performance and quality. Acad Pediatr 2011;May-Jun;11(3 Suppl):S34-41. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876285910001257. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009. Public Law 111-3. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ3/html/PLAW-111publ3.htm. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Harrington M, Kenney GM, et al. 2014. CHIPRA mandated evaluation of the Children’s Health Insurance Program: final findings. Report submitted to the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Ann Arbor, MI: Mathematica Policy Research; August 2014. http://www.medicaid.gov/chip/downloads/chip_report_congress-2014.pdf (1.032 MB). Accessed March 22, 2016.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Visual Impairment in Children Ages 1-5: Screening. January 2011. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Topic/recommendation-summary/visual-impairment-in-children-ages-1-5-screening. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Recommendations for Preventive Pediatric Health Care. http://pediatriccare.solutions.aap.org/DocumentLibrary/Periodicity%20Schedule_FINAL.pdf (394.89 KB) Last updated 2014. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Preventive Care for Children. 26 Covered Preventive Services for Children.
- Adolescent Health. AH-1. Increase the proportion of adolescents who have had a wellness checkup in the past 12 months. http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/Adolescent-Health. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- U.S. Census Bureau. Community facts: 2010 profile of general population and housing characteristics: 2010 demographic profile data. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Meningitis. http://www.cdc.gov/meningitis/index.html. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Meningococcal Disease. http://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/index.html. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Meningococcal VIS. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/mening.html. Accessed 05/18/2015.
- Markowitz LE, Dunne EF, Saraiya M, et al. Quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR 2007;56(RR02). http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5602a1.htm. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- FDA licensure of bivalent human papillomavirus vaccine (HPV2, Cervarix) for use in females and updated HPV vaccination recommendations from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR 2010 May 28;59(20):626-9. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5920a4.htm. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Recommendations on the use of quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine in males—Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2011. MMWR 2011 Dec 23;60(50):1705-8. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6050a3.htm?s_cid=mm6050a3_w. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Kroger AT, Sumaya CV, Pickering LK, et al. General recommendations on immunization: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. MMWR 2011;60(RR02). http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6002a1.htm?s_cid=rr6002a1_w. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Iedema R, Angell B. What are patients’ care experience priorities? BMJ Qual Saf 2015 Jun;24 (6):356-9. PMID: 25972222. http://qualitysafety.bmj.com/content/24/6/356.long. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Basch E. New frontiers in patient-reported outcomes: adverse event reporting, comparative effectiveness, and quality assessment. Annu Rev Med 2014;65:307-17. PMID: 24274179. http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-med-010713-141500?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3Dpubmed&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&journalCode=med. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Hospital Care and Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care. Patient- and family-centered care and the pediatrician's role. Pediatrics 2012 Feb;129(2):394-404. Epub 2012 Jan 30. PMID: 22291118. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/2/394.long. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Bethell C. Engaging families (and ourselves) in quality improvement: an optimistic and developmental perspective. Acad Pediatr 2013 Nov-Dec;13(6 Suppl):S9-11. PMID: 24268092. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S187628591300212X. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Dudley N. Ackerman A, Brown KM, et al. American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Pediatric Emergency Medicine; American College of Emergency Physicians Pediatric Emergency Medicine Committee; Emergency Nurses Association Pediatric Committee. Patient- and family-centered care of children in the emergency department. Pediatrics 2015 Jan;135(1):e255-72. PMID: 25548335. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/135/1/e255.long. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Phillips-Salimi C, Haase J, Kooken W. Connectedness in the context of patient-provider relationships: a concept analysis. J Adv Nurs 2012 Jan;68(1):230-45. Epub 2011 Jul 20. PMID: 21771040. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3601779/. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Birth Trauma Rate—Injury to Neonate: Technical Specifications. AHRQ Quality Indicators™, Version 5.0. Patient Safety Indicators 17. http://www.qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/Downloads/Modules/PSI/V50/TechSpecs/PSI_17_Birth%20Trauma%20RateInjury%20to%20Neonate.pdf (61.38 KB) Last update November 2014. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Ramphul M, Kennelly MM, Burke G, et al. Risk factors and morbidity associated with suboptimal instrument placement at instrumental delivery: observational study nested within the Instrumental Delivery & Ultrasound randomised controlled trial ISRCTN 72230496. BJOG 2015 Mar;122(4):558-63. Epub 2014 Nov 21. PMID: 25414081. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1471-0528.13186/full. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Neuspiel D, Taylor M. Reducing the risk of harm from medication errors in children. Health Serv Insights 2013 Jun 30;6:47-59. PMID: 25114560. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4089677/. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- General Medical Council. Prescribing guidance: sharing information with colleagues. 2015. http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/14320.asp. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Food and Drug Administration. Strategies to Reduce Medication Errors: Working to Improve Medication Safety. 2013. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm143553.htm. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Sarzynski EM, Luz CC, Rios-Bedoya CF, et al. Considerations for using the "brown bag" strategy to reconcile medications during routine outpatient office visits. Qual Prim Care 2014;22(4):177-87. PMID: 25695529.
- Alakeson V, Frank T. Health care reform and mental health care delivery. Psychiatr Serv 2010 Nov;61(11):1063. PMID: 21041340. http://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/ps.2010.61.11.1063. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Simon AE, Pastor PN, Reuben CA, et al. Use of mental health services by children ages six to 11 with emotional or behavioral difficulties. Psychiatr Serv 2015 May 15:appips201400342. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 25975889.
- Institute of Medicine. Committee on the Future of Emergency Care in the United States Health System. Hospital-based emergency care: at the breaking point. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2007.
- Alakeson V, Pande N, Ludwig M. A plan to reduce emergency room "boarding" of psychiatric patients. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010 Sep;29(9):1637-42. PMID: 20820019. http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/29/9/1637.long. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Kirk T, Di Leo P, Rehmer P, et al. A case and care management program to reduce use of acute care by clients with substance use disorders. Psychiatr Serv 2013 May;64(5):491-3. PMID: 23632578. http://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ps.201200258. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Olmstead T, Cohen J, Petry N. Health-care service utilization in substance abusers receiving contingency management and standard care treatments. Addiction 2012;107(8):1462-70. Epub 2012 Apr 17. PMID: 22296262. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3634865/. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Akinbami LJ, Moorman JE, Simon AE, et al. Trends in racial disparities for asthma outcomes among children 0-17 years, 2001-2010. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014 Sep;134(3):547-53. Epub 2014 Aug 1. PMID: 25091437. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091674914007982#. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Okelo S, Butz AM, Sharma R, et al. Interventions to modify health care provider adherence to asthma guidelines: a systematic review. Pediatrics 2013 Sep;132(3):517-34. Epub 2013 Aug 26. PMID: 23979092. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4079294/. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Data Infographics
- Data Visualizations
- Data Tools
- Data Innovations
- All-Payer Claims Database
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP)
- Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
- AHRQ Quality Indicator Tools for Data Analytics
- State Snapshots
- United States Health Information Knowledgebase (USHIK)
- Data Sources Available from AHRQ
Chartbook on Healthy Living
Maternal and Child Health Care: References
Table of Contents
- Chartbook on Healthy Living
- Healthy Living
- Healthy Living Measures
- Maternal and Child Health Care
- Maternal and Child Health Care: Effectiveness Measures
- Maternal and Child Health Care: Person-Centered Care & Patient Safety
- Maternal and Child Health Care: Care Coordination Measures
- Maternal and Child Health Care: References
- Lifestyle Modification
- Clinical Preventive Services
- Functional Status Preservation and Rehabilitation
- Supportive and Palliative Care
Page last reviewed April 2018
Page originally created April 2016
Internet Citation: Maternal and Child Health Care: References. Content last reviewed April 2018. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD.