The National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report is a comprehensive national overview of quality of health care in the United States. The report also examines disparities in health care among priority populations, such as racial and ethnic minority groups. The report is compiled from multiple federal, state, and private data sources, including databases and surveys.
Federal Sources of Data
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) (details are provided below).
- Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS).
- Home Health Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HHCAHPS).
- Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS).
- National CAHPS® Benchmarking Database (NCBD)—Health Plan Survey Database.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS).
- National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS).
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).
- National Health Interview Survey (NHIS).
- Nationall HIV Surveillance System (NHSS)
- National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NHAMCS).
- National Immunization Survey (NIS).
- National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR).
- National Tuberculosis Surveillance System (NTSS).
- National Vital Statistics System—Linked Birth and Infant Death Data (NVSS-L).
- National Vital Statistics System—Mortality (NVSS-M).
- National Vital Statistics System—Natality (NVSS-N).
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (HIQR) Program.
Health Resources and Services Administration
- Uniform Data System (UDS).
Indian Health Service
- Indian Health Service National Data Warehouse (NDW).
National Institutes of Health
- United States Renal Data System (USRDS).
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH).
- Substance Use Disorder Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS).
Multi-Agency Data Sources
- Medicare Patient Safety Monitoring System (MPSMS).
University of Michigan
- University of Michigan Kidney Epidemiology and Cost Center (UMKECC).
Professional Organizations and Associations
American Hospital Association
- American Hospital Association Annual Survey Information Technology Supplement.
Commission on Cancer and American Cancer Society
- National Cancer Data Base (NCDB).
Additional Information on Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality HCUP Partners
The State Inpatient Databases (SID) disparities analysis file was created from SID data to provide national estimates for the QDR. It consists of weighted records from a sample of hospitals from the following 36 States participating in the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) that have high-quality race/ethnicity data: AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MI, MO, NC, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, and WY.
In 2014, the 36 States accounted for 80 percent of U.S. discharges from community, nonrehabilitation hospitals (based on the American Hospital Association Annual Survey). A full list of HCUP partners appears below, including States that are not part of the disparities analysis file.
Sources of HCUP Data
- Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
- Alaska State Hospital and Nursing Home Association
- Arizona Department of Health Services
- Arkansas Department of Health
- California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development
- Colorado Hospital Association
- Connecticut Hospital Association
- District of Columbia Hospital Association
- Florida Agency for Health Care Administration
- Georgia Hospital Association
- Hawaii Health Information Corporation
- Illinois Department of Public Health
- Indiana Hospital Association
- Iowa Hospital Association
- Kansas Hospital Association
- Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services
- Louisiana Department of Health
- Maine Health Data Organization
- Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission
- Massachusetts Center for Health Information and Analysis
- Michigan Health & Hospital Association
- Minnesota Hospital Association
- Mississippi State Department of Health
- Missouri Hospital Industry Data Institute
- Montana Hospital Association
- Nebraska Hospital Association
- Nevada Department of Health and Human Services
- New Hampshire Department of Health & Human Services
- New Jersey Department of Health
- New Mexico Department of Health
- New York State Department of Health
- North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- North Dakota (data provided by the Minnesota Hospital Association)
- Ohio Hospital Association
- Oklahoma State Department of Health
- Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems
- Oregon Office of Health Analytics
- Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council
- Rhode Island Department of Health
- South Carolina Revenue and Fiscal Affairs Office
- South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations
- Tennessee Hospital Association
- Texas Department of State Health Services
- Utah Department of Health
- Vermont Association of Hospitals and Health Systems
- Virginia Health Information
- Washington State Department of Health
- West Virginia Health Care Authority
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- Wyoming Hospital Association