Search All Research Studies
AHRQ Research Studies Date
AHRQ Research Studies
Sign up: AHRQ Research Studies Email updates
Research Studies is a monthly compilation of research articles funded by AHRQ or authored by AHRQ researchers and recently published in journals or newsletters.
Results1 to 1 of 1 Research Studies Displayed
Li J, Qi M, Werner RM
Assessment of receipt of the first home health care visit after hospital discharge among older adults.
Investigators examined how often patients referred to home health care at hospital discharge receive it and whether there is evidence of disparities. Their study used Medicare data regarding the postacute home health care setting; participants were Medicare fee-for-service and Medicare Advantage beneficiaries discharged from the hospital with a referral to home health care. They found that only 54% of patients discharged received home health care services within 14 days of discharge. Of the remaining 46% discharged, 37.7% never received any home health care, while 8.3% were institutionalized or died within 14 days without a preceding home health care visit. Patients who were Black or Hispanic received home health at lower rates than did patients who were White. They concluded that disparities in the use of home health care remain an issue in the US.
AHRQ-funded; HS024266; HS026836.
Citation: Li J, Qi M, Werner RM . Assessment of receipt of the first home health care visit after hospital discharge among older adults. JAMA Netw Open 2020 Sep;3(9):e2015470. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.15470..
Keywords: Elderly, Hospital Discharge, Home Healthcare, Disparities, Access to Care, Racial / Ethnic Minorities