Technology Assessment Program
- Public Review
- Technology Assessments Completed
- Technology Assessments in Progress
- Topic Refinements Completed
- Topic Refinements in Progress
- Technology Assessment Archive
AHRQ's TA Program uses state-of-the-art methodologies for assessing the clinical utility of medical interventions. Technology assessments are based on a systematic review of the literature, along with appropriate qualitative and quantitative methods of synthesizing data from multiple studies.
Technology assessments are conducted by our Evidence-based Practice Center Program or may be done in house by AHRQ staff. For additional information on the EPC reports conducted for the Technology Assessment Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Potential TA topics may go through a formal AHRQ Topic Refinement process. When CMS requests a Topic Refinement, the potential TA’s key questions and overall scope are reviewed by invited stakeholders, and the resulting document is posted for public comment.
To get complete public review, the AHRQ TA Program will post draft reports on the AHRQ TA Web site. To meet the timelines for Medicare coverage decisions mandated by the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003, draft technology assessment reports will be available for public review for a limited time. A notice will be sent out on the CMS Medicare Coverage and AHRQ Effective Health Care Email distribution lists 1 week before the posting of draft reports. Each report will be available for public review on this Web site for a total of 3 weeks.
The AHRQ TA Program supports and is committed to the transparency of its review process. Therefore, starting March 18, 2009, invited peer review comments and public review comments will be publicly posted on the TA Program Web site within 3 months after the associated final report is posted on this Web site. The report authors' responses to the comments (the "disposition of comments") will be posted on the same Web page as the associated comments.
If topics undergo a formal Topic Refinement, the Topic Refinement document containing the scope of the potential TA will be posted on the AHRQ TA Web site for 2 weeks for public comment. Once public comments have been considered and revisions have been completed, the final Topic Refinement document will be posted on the AHRQ Web site.
Technology Assessments Completed
- Short- and Long-Term Outcomes after Bariatric Surgery in the Medicare Population (PDF - 1.6 MB); Appendixes (PDF - 4.7 MB)
Protocol (PDF - 372 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 691.4 KB)
- Definition of Treatment-Resistant Depression in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 464 KB) (Amended March 2017)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 769 KB)
- Treatment Strategies for Patients with Lower Extremity Chronic Venous Disease (LECVD)
Protocol (PDF - 392.95 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 1.61 MB)
- Retinal Prostheses in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 216.32 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 500.16 KB)
- Renal Denervation in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 98.37 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 1.23 MB)
- Effectiveness of Hyaluronic Acid in the Treatment of Severe Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) of the Knee
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 660.61 KB)
- Cardiovascular Procedures and Subsequent Cognitive Function
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 153.98 KB)
- Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 576.44 KB)
- Pain Management Injection Therapies for Low Back Pain
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 621.67 KB)
- Use of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy in the Medicare Population
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 335.78 KB)
* Not available electronically. Contact email@example.com for report availability.
Reports in late-production phase (post-review):
- Home Mechanical Ventilators
Protocol (PDF - 641 KB); Appendix A (PDF - 202 KB)
- Skin Substitutes for Treating Chronic Wounds
- Update on Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 254.8 KB)
Topics seeking supplemental evidence and data
- End Stage Renal Disease in the Medicare Population [Accepting submissions until July 5, 2019]
Protocol (PDF, 345.25 KB)
Additional information for technology assessments can be submitted for the topics listed above. Details and submission instructions can be found here.
Topic Refinements Completed
- End Stage Renal Disease in the Medicare Population (PDF - 260 KB)
- Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation (PDF - 216 KB)
- Home Mechanical Ventilators (PDF - 144 KB)
- Pain Management Injection Therapies for Low-Back Pain (PDF - 77 KB)
- Therapeutic Options for Obesity in the Medicare Population (PDF - 316 KB)
- Use of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy in the Medicare Population (PDF - 142 KB)
Topic Refinements in Progress
Draft Topic Refinement available for public comment
None at this time
Topic refinements in mid-production phase (mid-review)
None at this time
Technology Assessments for 1990-2014
These technology assessments were completed at least 5 years ago, and some as many as 20 years ago. These assessments may be outdated due to more recent research findings not included in the assessments and should be viewed cautiously in current medical practice. They are maintained for archival purposes only.
Page originally created January 2013