SOPS Nursing Home Database Submission Information
The AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture™ (SOPS®) Nursing Home Database is a central repository for survey data from nursing homes that administered the AHRQ survey and choose to submit their data. It is an important resource for patient safety culture improvement. The Database produces a free report of aggregate nursing home-level statistics and results by nursing home characteristics. Each participating nursing home also receives a feedback report comparing their own results to the Database.
Guidelines for Use of SOPS Trademarked Surveys
All submissions of survey results to the SOPS Nursing Home Database must comply with the following guidelines to be included in the Database:
- The SOPS Nursing Home Survey must have been administered in its entirety without modifications or deletions to the core* survey items.
- No changes can be made to the core survey item text and/or response options. Changes can only be made to the background questions at the end of the survey.
- Do not reorder core survey items.
- Do not omit or delete core survey items. Only background questions at the end can be removed.
- Be sure to include any definitions of terms, subheadings (re-lettering as needed), and instructions in the survey.
- Do not insert new items within the core survey—they should only be added toward the end of the survey, right before the background questions at the end (Section F of the SOPS Nursing Home).
*Note: Core survey items are the survey items in Sections A-E in SOPS Nursing Home Survey. The core does not include background questions at the end of the survey.
To determine whether a survey is acceptable for submission to the SOPS Nursing Home Database prior to survey administration, email a copy of the survey to DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com for review.
Update 5/18/2020: Due to the impact of COVID-19 on healthcare organizations, AHRQ is postponing SOPS Nursing Home Database submission until further notice. AHRQ will continue to re-evaluate the timing of the data submission and will provide updates as needed.
The SOPS Nursing Home Database is for nursing homes located in the United States or in a U.S. territory, provided the data are submitted in accordance with the SOPS data file specifications. Each nursing home must have at least 10 completed surveys.
Definition of a Nursing Home
- A nursing home is a facility or a special contained area of a facility that has only licensed nursing home beds and is not an assisted living, community care, or independent living facility.
How to participate:
- Email DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com with your complete contact information and “Nursing Home Database Submission” in the subject line. Database staff will send registration information to you to complete. This information, along with a copy of the survey(s) administered, will be reviewed to determine your eligibility.
- Provide the following data elements:
- Medicare Provider ID per these site-level data file specifications (PDF, 50 KB).
- A copy of the survey(s) actually administered for review and approval.
- Signed Data Use Agreement (PDF, 901 KB], which assures nursing homes about the confidentiality of their data and explains how their data will be used.
- Respondent-level survey data following these specifications (PDF, 211 KB) for each nursing home facility.
For free technical assistance and support, email DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com or call 1-888-324-9790.