Health IT Patient Safety Supplemental Items for Hospital SOPS
The SOPS® Health Information Technology (Health IT) Patient Safety Supplemental Items for the Hospital Survey are designed to be used in conjunction with the core Hospital SOPS. The item set can help hospitals assess the extent to which their culture is sensitive to how the use of health IT affects patient safety from the perspectives of providers and other staff working in their hospital. The supplemental items may be added to the Hospital Survey to assess content in areas not included in the core questionnaire.
- Health IT Patient Safety Supplemental Items for the Hospital Survey—English (Word, 64 KB; PDF, 230 KB)
- Health IT Patient Safety Supplemental Items for the Hospital Survey—Spanish (Word, 77 KB; PDF, 608 KB)
Topics Covered by the Health IT Patient Safety Item Set
The Health IT Patient Safety Supplemental Items address the following topic areas:
- EHR System Training.
- EHR System Support and Communication.
- EHR Patient Safety and Quality Issues.
- EHR and Workflow/Work Process.
- Overall EHR System Rating.
Pilot Study Results
The Health IT Patient Safety Supplemental Items were administered to providers and staff in 44 hospitals in 2017. Pilot study results are available for just over 9,000 hospital respondents who completed the supplemental items.
- Pilot Study Results from the 2017 AHRQ SOPS Health IT Patient Safety Supplemental Item Set for Hospitals (PDF, 996 KB)
- Improving Health Information Technology Patient Safety: A Resource List for Users of the AHRQ Health Information Technology Item Set (PDF, 450 KB)
This document contains links to practical resources to improve patient safety as it relates to the use of Health IT in hospitals.
Data Entry and Analysis Tool
This tool uses Microsoft® Excel® to assist with entering survey data. The tool then creates tables and graphs to display survey results. To request the tool, send an email to: DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com.