TeamSTEPPS 2.0: Module 8
Sizing Up the Culture Exercise Sheet
As you answer the questions below, consider the state of your current organization and the current safety climate.
Step 1: A Sense of Urgency
1. What information do you have that may indicate a need for change in your organization?
2. Where else might you look for "hidden" information?
3. How is the need for change communicated in your organization? What do you think is the most appropriate way to communicate the need for change?
4. What can you do to create a sense of urgency for change in the organization?
Step 2: The Guiding Team
5. What characteristics would you look for in a team to guide change in your organization?
6. What do you think is the most crucial thing to enable this guiding team to truly function as a team?
Step 3: A Change Vision and Strategy
7. How might you best determine what your change strategy needs to be?
Step 4: Understanding and Buy-In
8. How could you best ensure understanding and buy-in of needed changes in your organization?
9. Identify ways to communicate and reinforce change that you believe would be most effective in your organization.
Step 5: Empowering Members To Effect Change
10. Where might you anticipate and eliminate barriers to change in the organization?
11. What do you believe might be behind people's resistance to change?
12. What are the existing norms within your facility/department/unit that may interfere with change?
Step 6: Short-term wins
13. Identify examples of successes relative to the changes needed in your organization that you have already seen.
14. What could you do to reinforce success? Involve employees in the success of the company by giving rewards (e.g., safety tee-shirts, carabineer awards. Open house for plant and families to see the environment. Popsicles and doughnuts.
Step 7: Not Letting Up
15. Describe what you think it will take to really keep change going in your organization.
16. What resources and/or support will people need to implement the needed change?
Step 8: A New Culture
17. Describe the new culture that you see for your organization. What will the benefits of such a culture be?
Page originally created September 2012