Office of Extramural Research, Education and Priority Populations (OEREP)
In order to carry out its mission, the Office of Extramural Research, Education and Priority Populations (OEREP):
- Directs the selection, review, and funding of grants and reviews SBIR contracts for scientific merit and program relevance.
- Oversees Agency research training and career development programs and implementation of the National Research Service Award authority.
- Manages the committee management and scientific integrity processes for the intramural and extramural programs of the Agency.
- Develops and coordinates clearance of peer review regulations, policy notices, and program announcements.
- Represents the Agency in meetings with experts and organizations on issues related to the administration of the Agency's scientific programs.
- Advises the Agency leadership on matters pertaining to the health needs and health care of priority populations, including scientific, ethical, legal, and policy issues.
- Prepares the agenda for priority populations research—both extramural and intramural—through the Agency's strategic planning process, needs assessments, and user input.
- Serves as an expert resource within the Agency to assist program development and participates in the development of policies and programs to implement the Agency's priority populations agenda.
- Evaluates the degree to which the Agency is meeting its goals for priority populations.
- Fosters new knowledge, tool, talent, and strategy development related to priority populations by recommending, leading, coordinating, and conducting new initiatives, including intramural initiatives.