Universal ICU Decolonization: An Enhanced Protocol
5. Scott RD. The direct medical costs of healthcare-associated infections in U.S. hospitals and the benefits of prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/pdfs/hai/Scott_CostPaper.pdf (PDF File, 835 KB). Accessed August 7, 2013.
6. Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council (PHC4). The impact of healthcare-associated infections in Pennsylvania, 2010. 2012. http://www.phc4.org/reports/hai/10/default.htm. Accessed August 7, 2013.
9. Jarvis WR, Scholosser J, Chinn RY, et al. National prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in inpatients at U.S. health care facilities, 2006. Am J Infect Control 2007; 35(10):631-7.
10. Sievert DM, Ricks P, Edwards JR, et al. Antimicrobial-resistant pathogens associated with healthcare-associated infections: summary of data reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2009-2010. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2013 Jan; 34(1):1-14.
11. Umscheid CA, Mitchell MD, Doshi JA, et al. Estimating the proportion of healthcare-associated infections that are reasonably preventable and the related mortality and costs. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2011; 32(2):101-14.
12. Hidron AI, Kourbatova EV, Halvosa JS, et al. Risk factors for colonization with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in patients admitted to an urban hospital: emergence of community-associated MRSA nasal carriage. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 41:159-66.
18. Huang SS, Hinrichsen VL, Datta R, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection and hospitalization in high-risk patients in the year following detection. PLoS ONE 2011; 6(9):e24340.
19. Vernon MO, Hayden MK, Trick WE, et al. Chlorhexidine gluconate to cleanse patients in a medical intensive care unit: the effectiveness of source control to reduce the bioburden of vancomycin-resistant enterococci. Arch Intern Med 2006 Feb 13; 166(3):306-12.
20. Bleasdale SC, Trick WE, Gonzalez IM, et al. Effectiveness of chlorhexidine bathing to reduce catheter-associated bloodstream infections in medical intensive care unit patients. Arch Intern Med 2007 Oct 22; 167(19):2073-9.
21. Popovich KJ, Hota B, Hayes R, et al. Effectiveness of routine patient cleansing with chlorhexidine gluconate for infection prevention in the medical intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009 Oct; 30(10):959-63.
22. Climo MW, Sepkowitz KA, Zuccotti G, et al. The effect of daily bathing with chlorhexidine on the acquisition of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus, and healthcare-associated bloodstream infections: results of a quasi-experimental multicenter trial. Crit Care Med 2009 Jun; 37(6):1858-65.
26. Fernandez C, Gaspar C, Torrellas A, et al. A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of mupirocin calcium ointment for eliminating nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus among hospital personnel. J Antimicrob Chemother 1995; 35:399–408.
28. Ridenour G, Lampen R, Fiderspiel J, et al. Use of intranasal mupirocin and chlorhexidine bathing and the incidence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization and infection among intensive care units patients. Infect Control Hosp Epidmiol 2007; 28:1155-61.
29. Girou E, Pujade G, Legrand P, et al. Selective screening of carriers for control of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in high-risk hospital areas with a high level of endemic MRSA. Clin Infect Dis 1998; 27:543-50.
30. Sandri AM, Dalarosa MG, Ruschel de AL, et al. Reduction in incidence of nosocomial methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection in an intensive care unit: role of treatment with mupirocin ointment and chlorhexidine baths for nasal carriers of MRSA. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006; 27:185-87.
31. Harbarth S, Dharan S, Liassine N, et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial to evaluate the efficacy of mupirocin for eradicating carriage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1999; 43:1412-6.
32. Basker M J, Comber KR, Clayton P J, et al. Ethyl monate A: a semisynthetic antibiotic derived from pseudomonie acid A. In: Nelson JD, Grassi C, eds. Current chemotherapy and infectious disease vol. 1. Washington, DC: American Society for Microbiology; 1980. p. 471-3.
33. Jackson D, Tasker TOG, Suthefland K, et a Clinical pharmacology of Bactroban: pharmaeokinetic, tolerance and efficacy studies. Proceedings of an International Symposium Bactroban (Mupirocin), Nassau, May 1984. Excerpts Meal Curr Clin Pract Ser 1985; 16:54-67.
34. Baines PJ, Jackson D, Mellows G, et al. Mupirocin: Its chemistry and metabolism. In: Wilkinson JD, Price JD, eds. Mupirocin—A novel topical antibiotic. London: Royal Society of Medicine, 1984: 13-22.
35. Bork K, Brauers J, Kresken M. Efficacy and safety of 2% mupirocin ointment in the treatment of primary and secondary skin infections–an open multicentre trial. Br J Clin Pract 1989 Aug; 43(8):284-8.
36. Lawrence CM, Mackenzie T, Pagano K, et al. Systemic absorption of mupirocin after topical application of mupirocin ointment to healthy and dermatologically diseased skin. J Dermatolog Treat 1989;(I):83-86.
41. Hayek IJ, Emerson JM, Gardner AM. Placebo-controlled trial of the effect of two preoperative baths or showers with chlorhexidine detergent on postoperative wound infection rates. J Hosp Infect 1987; 10:165-72.
44. Gould IM, MacKenzie FM, MacLennan G, et al. Topical antimicrobials in combination with admission screening and barrier precautions to control endemic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in an intensive care unit. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2007; 29(5):536-43.
46. Soskolne WA, Chajek T, Flashner M, et al. An in vivo study of the chlorhexidine release profile of the PerioChip in the gingival crevicular fluid, plasma and urine. J Clin Periodontol 1998; 25(12):1017-21.
50. Milstone AM, Elward A, Song X, et al. Daily chlorhexidine bathing to reduce bacteraemia in critically ill children: a multicentre, cluster-randomised, crossover trial. Lancet 2013 Mar; 381(9872):1099-106.