Help for Smokers and Other Tobacco Users
You can quit. Quitting is hard. Many people try several times before they quit for good. But they do succeed.
Good Reasons for Quitting
You will feel better.
- You will have more energy and breathe easier.
- Your chances of getting sick will go down.
Smoking is dangerous.
- More than 435,000 Americans die each year from smoking.
- Smoking causes illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, stroke, problems with pregnancy, and lung disease.
More Good Reasons for Quitting
If you are pregnant, your baby will be healthier.
- Your baby will get more oxygen.
The people around you, especially children, will be healthier.
- Breathing in other people's smoke can cause asthma and other health problems.
You will have more money. If you smoke one pack per day, quitting smoking could save you up to $150 a month.
Savings Per Month
|If you smoke
(packs per day)
There Has Never Been A Better Time to Quit
A combination works best.
- Set a quit date.
- Get support.
- Take medicine.
+ Get Medicine
Set a quit date.
No smoking after: _____________________
Change the things around you.
- Get rid of all cigarettes and ashtrays in your home, car, and place of work.
- Do not let people smoke in your home.
After you quit, don't smoke—not even a puff! Don't use any tobacco!
You can buy nicotine gum, the nicotine patch, or the nicotine lozenge at a drug store.
You can ask your pharmacist for more information.
Ask your doctor about other medicines that can help you.
- Nicotine nasal spray
- Nicotine inhaler
- Bupropion SR (pill)
- Varenicline (pill)
Most health insurance will pay for these medicines.
Tell your family, friends, and people you work with that you are going to quit. Ask for their support.
Talk to your doctor, nurse, or other health care worker. They can help you quit.
Call 1-800-QUIT NOW (784-8669) to be connected to the quitline in your State.
It's free. They will set up a quit plan with you.
If you "slip" and smoke or chew tobacco, don't give up. Try again soon. Set a new quit date to get back on track.
Avoid being around smoking.
Eat healthy food and get exercise.
Keep a positive attitude. You can do it!
You Can Quit
Most people try several times before they quit for good. Quitting is hard, but— You Can Quit