Office of Extramural Research, Education and Priority Populations (OEREP)
The Director of OEREP is Dr. Francis Chesley.
In order to carry out its mission, the Office of Extramural Research, Education and Priority Populations (OEREP):
- Directs the selection, review, and funding of grants and reviews SBIR contracts for scientific merit and program relevance.
- Oversees Agency research training and career development programs and implementation of the National Research Service Award authority.
- Manages the committee management and scientific integrity processes for the intramural and extramural programs of the Agency.
- Develops and coordinates clearance of peer review regulations, policy notices, and program announcements.
- Represents the Agency in meetings with experts and organizations on issues related to the administration of the Agency's scientific programs.
- Advises the Agency leadership on matters pertaining to the health needs and health care of priority populations, including scientific, ethical, legal, and policy issues.
- Prepares the agenda for priority populations research—both extramural and intramural—through the Agency's strategic planning process, needs assessments, and user input.
- Serves as an expert resource within the Agency to assist program development and participates in the development of policies and programs to implement the Agency's priority populations agenda.
- Evaluates the degree to which the Agency is meeting its goals for priority populations.
- Fosters new knowledge, tool, talent, and strategy development related to priority populations by recommending, leading, coordinating, and conducting new initiatives, including intramural initiatives.
Page originally created August 2012