Antipsychotic and Antidepressant Use and Expenses in the United States Between 2013 and 2018
This data visualization allows users to explore trends in the use of antidepressants and antipsychotics according to age group, sex, race / ethnicity, and family poverty status. Estimates are based on the 2013 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey-Household Component and the 2018 MEPS-Household Component.
- MEPS Statistical Brief #534: Comparison of Antidepressant and Antipsychotic Utilization and Expenditures in the U.S. Civilian Noninstitutionalized Population, 2013 and 2018
- MEPS Statistical Brief #535: Comparison of the Total Number of People in the U.S. Civilian Noninstitutionalized Population Purchasing One or More Antidepressant or Antipsychotic Prescriptions by Select Sociodemographic Characteristics, 2013 and 2018
- MEPS Statistical Brief #538: Average Expenditures per Prescription Antidepressant Fill in the U.S. Civilian Noninstitutionalized Population by Select Sociodemographic Characteristics, 2013 and 2018
Antidepressant and Antipsychotic Prescriptions by Total People and Sociodemographic Characteristics, 2013 and 2018
This section shows the number of people who obtained at least one prescription for antidepressants and antipsychotics and their age, sex, race / ethnicity, and family poverty status. Select a category from the dropdown box to see characteristics in both charts (antidepressants and antipsychotics). Choose only one category at a time.
Expenditures for Antidepressants and Antipsychotics, 2013 and 2018
This section summarizes the number of people who obtained a prescription for antidepressants or antipsychotics, prescriptions filled, and amounts spent on antidepressants or antipsychotics.
- Select Total by Prescription or Antidepressants Deep Dive.
- For Total by Prescription, select antidepressants or antipsychotics. Summary information will appear in three boxes, followed by bar charts showing average expenditures broken out by total per fill, out-of-pocket per fill, and third-party payer per fill.
- For Antidepressants Deep Dive, select Expense Per Fill View (total, out-of-pocket, or third party). Then select Demographic View (age, sex, race/ethnicity, family poverty status, or insurance). Bar charts show average expenditure per fill by demographic.