Summaries of Independent Scientist (K) Awards
Institution: Yale University
Grant Title: Geographic Variation in the Use of Imaging with Cardiac Stress Testing
Grant Number: K08 HS18781
Duration: 5 years (2010-2015)
Total Award: $771,500
Project Description: This research has three main aims:
- Quantify geographic variations in the use of imaging with stress testing for outpatients.
- Identify clinical and non-clinical factors associated with the use of imaging with stress testing.
- Determine how imaging with stress testing is associated with clinical and financial outcomes.
Career Goals: Dr. Chen is an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Medicine at the Yale University School of Medicine. He received his MD and MPH at Yale followed by an internship in Internal Medicine at Beth Israel-Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. He went on to do a residency in Diagnostic Radiology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Chen's career goal is to develop a career in cardiovascular outcomes research, focused on improving patient outcomes and increasing efficiency within the health care system. His long-term research agenda is to conduct studies that inform policymakers on strategies to improve clinical outcomes while remaining cognizant of these decisions' impacts on costs.
Progress to Date: The grantee received approval from the CMS Privacy Board and finalized CMS data-use agreements for purchasing Medicare Data. He has completed a number of preliminary studies related to developing a rational assessment for cardiac imaging.
Future Plans: Dr. Chen will begin work on Aims #2 and #2 using the Medicare, UHC, and Aetna data.
Highlights and Specific Accomplishments:
- John Harvard Scholarship, 1989-1993.
- American Heart Association Student Scholar Award, 1997.
- Merck/American Federation for Aging Research Student Scholarship in Geriatric Pharmacology, 1998.
- American Heart Association Elizabeth Barrett-Conner Research Award in Epidemiology and Prevention for Investigators in Training, 1998.
- American Heart Association Scientific Session, Best Poster Abstract in Population Science, 2006.
K-Generated Publications: None thus far.