Summaries of Independent Scientist (K) Awards
Institution: Rhode Island Hospital
Grant Title: Neglected by the Evidence: The Intersection of Medical Complexity and Dementia
Grant Number: K08 HS17735
Duration: 5 years (2009-2014)
Total Award: $590,700
Project Description: This research has three main aims:
- Evaluate longitudinal behavioral, cognitive, and functional effects of discontinuing stable cholinesterase inhibitor (CHEI) therapy compared to continuous CHEI therapy in nursing facility residents with dementia.
- Determine the extent to which cognitively impaired individuals who receive isoflurane general anesthesia during hip fracture repair experience greater post-operative cognitive and functional decline in the year after surgery compared to patients receiving other types of general anesthesia.
- Quantify the effects of isoflurane anesthesia versus other general or regional anesthesia on the rate of post-operative cognitive and functional decline in cognitively impaired patients in the year after hip fracture repair surgery.
Career Goals: Dr. Daiello is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University. She received her PharmD from Ohio State University and did a post-doc fellowship in dementia research at Brown. Dr. Daiello intends to become an independent health services research conducting translational research via comparative effectiveness studies and prospective clinical trials in geriatric psychopharmacology, health outcomes, and medication safety in frail elderly populations.
Progress to Date: Data analyses are underway and results will be available soon.
Future Plans: The grantee will continue with her academic coursework and manuscript development.
Highlights and Specific Accomplishments:
- Senior Care Pharmacist Award, American Society of Consultant Pharmacists.
- Young Investigators Award, Lifespan Research Celebration.
- Shellie E. Brassler Alzheimer's Disease Professional Impact Award.
K-Generated Publications: None thus far.
Page originally created March 2012