Summaries of Independent Scientist (K) Awards
Institution: Boston Medical Center
Grant Title: Shared Decision Making in Diverse, Disadvantaged Populations; Addressing Health Disparities
Grant Number: K08 HS19771
Duration: 5 years (2010-2015)
Total Award: $743,500
Project Description: The proposed research has four main aims:
- Determine the effect of race on decision quality, decision involvement and disparities in cardiac catheterization use.
- Identify and characterize socially determined predictors of shared decision making (SDM) behavior in patients from diverse disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Pilot test the feasibility of an existing video decision aid on treatment options for coronary artery disease for information sharing only with diverse disadvantaged populations.
- Pilot test the feasibility of a decision-support tool that includes an existing video decision aid for information sharing plus computer-guided exploration of socially determined predictors of SDM behavior to improve decision quality and decision implementation rates in a diverse disadvantaged population.
Career Goals: Dr. Mitchell is an Academic Fellow in the Department of Family Medicine at Boston University School of Medicine. She received her MD from Wake Forest University/Bowman Gray School of Medicine and did a Family Practice residency at the White Memorial Medical Center in Los Angeles. She earned her MSc in Clinical Research from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Dr. Mitchell would like to become an independent clinical investigator and educator in shared decision making, comparative effectiveness research of shared decision making (SDM) tools, and the impact of SDM on health disparities among culturally diverse, medically underserved populations.
Progress to Date: This grant has just started.
Highlights and Specific Accomplishments:
- Robert Cooper Oncology Award for Breast Cancer Research, Wake Forest University Bowman Gray School of medicine, 1997.
- Fellowship in Urban and Immigrant Medicine, NY, 1997.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Health Disparities Research Scholar, 2002-2006.
K-Generated Publications: None thus far.
Page originally created March 2012