Summaries of Independent Scientist (K) Awards
Institution: Michigan State University
Grant Title: Closing the Research-to-Practice Gap in Cardiac Care of Minority and Low Income Populations
Grant Number: K08 HS018104
Duration: 5 years (2009-2014)
Total Award: $678,200
Project Description: The project has three main aims:
- Improve the implementation of evidence-based guidelines for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease (CHD) for both African Americans and low socioeconomic status populations by adapting the Guideline Applied in Practice (GAP) to office practice (Office GAP) using Federally Qualified Community Health Centers (FQCHCs).
- Integrate decision support tools into an office-based electronic tracking and reminder system.
- Demonstrate the feasibility and effectiveness of Office GAP in FQCHC sites.
Career Goals: Dr. Olomu is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at Michigan State University (MSU). She received her MD at the University of Benin and later did a residency in Internal Medicine at the Michigan State University Associated Hospitals. She went on to earn an MS in epidemiology, also from Michigan State. Dr. Olomu would like to establish herself as an independent investigator in health services research with a focus on research to improve the quality of care for blacks and low income populations with heart disease by translating research into practice.
Progress to Date: The grantee developed and designed the various recruitment tools and the patient health survey forms were finalized. Evaluation tools and educational modules were also developed. Further, a detailed study-specific chart abstraction manual was developed for use by all chart abstractors.
Future Plans: Dr. Olomu will complete the study of the practice work flow and the development of the Community Health Resource list. She will conduct physician and staff educational models training. Patient recruitment will begin as will baseline chart abstraction of patient information.
Highlights and Specific Accomplishments:
- Residents' Award for Research Teacher of the Year, MSU, Internal Medicine Residency Program, 2008.
- Guide to America's Top Physicians, 2007.
K-Generated Publications: None thus far.
Page originally created March 2012