Summaries of Independent Scientist (K) Awards
Institution: Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond
Grant Title: Evaluating Clostridium Difficile Infection in Hospitalized Patients
Grant Number: K08 HS018578
Duration: 5 years (2010-2015)
Total Award: $633,300
Project Description: The project has three main aims:
- Evaluate the extent to which hospital-level antibiotic and gastric acid suppressant usage patterns, infection prevention and control, and pharmacy policies predict C. difficile infection (CDI) occurrence.
- Develop and compare various approaches to risk adjustment to identify hospitals with higher or lower than expected CDI rates.
- Identify facilitators and barriers to implementation of best practices for CDI prevention.
Career Goals: Dr. Pakyz is an Assistant Professor of Pharmacy and Medicine at the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). She received her PharmD from VCU and later earned her MS in Health Evaluation Sciences from the University of Virginia. She would like to become a mentor for the next generation of pharmacist-health services researchers.
Progress to Date: This grant has just started.
Highlights and Specific Accomplishments:
- Health Outcomes Pharmaceutical Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) Foundation Research Starter Grant Recipient, 2006.
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist, 2004.
K-Generated Publications: None thus far.
Page originally created March 2012