Summaries of Independent Scientist (K) Awards
Institution: University of California, Davis
Grant Title: A Telehealth Learning Collaborative for Pediatric Obesity in Rural Primary Care
Grant Number: K08 HS018567
Duration: 3 years (2009-2012)
Total Award: $433,800
Project Description: The proposed research has three aims:
- Demonstrate the feasibility and effectiveness of a health information technology (Health IT)-enabled quality improvement learning collaborative (HEALTH-LC) in increasing assessment of weight status and provision of family-centered care for diet and physical activity.
- Demonstrate the feasibility and effectiveness of a HEALTH-LC in improving short-term diet and physical activity behaviors in children seen for well-child visits.
- Qualitatively describe clinic team members' experiences in the HEALTH-LC.
Career Goals: Dr. Shaikh is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California Davis School of Medicine and an Attending Physician at the Pediatric Weight Management Clinic and Pediatric Lactation Clinic, also at UC Davis. The grantee received her MD from Goa Medical College in India and did an internship at the same institution in Medicine and Surgery. She then earned a MPH from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey followed by a residency in Pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, Lebanon Hospital. This was followed by Dr. Shaikh being awarded a Fellowship in Primary Care Faculty Development at the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine. She also has a Masters in Clinical Research from UC Davis. Her long-term career goal is to improve the quality of pediatric health care using Health IT with a focus on pediatric obesity.
Progress to Date: Human subject approval was obtained and seven clinics in rural California were invited to participate in the study. Consent from parents was received. A total of 143 subjects were recruited during this pre-intervention data collection period and the telephone survey was administered. Data is being entered into a secure electronic database.
Future Plans: Dr. Shaikh will work on Aims #2 and #3.
Highlights and Specific Accomplishments:
- Dean's Award for Excellence, University of California Davis School of Medicine, 2008.
- House Staff Teaching Award, US Davis Department of Pediatrics, 2005.
- Western Society for Pediatric Research Scholar Award, 2005.
K-Generated Publications: None thus far.