The SHARE Approach
AHRQ’s SHARE Approach is a five-step process for shared decisionmaking that includes exploring and comparing the benefits, harms, and risks of each option through meaningful dialogue about what matters most to the patient.
SHARE Approach Workshop Curriculum
The SHARE Approach Workshop curriculum was developed by AHRQ to support the training of health care professionals on how to engage patients in their health care decisionmaking. The curriculum is made up of an Introduction, four content modules, and a module with training tips.
- Introduction to SHARE Approach Workshop
- Module 1: Shared Decisionmaking and the SHARE Approach
- Module 2: Using Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR) in Shared Decisionmaking
- Module 3: Communication
- Module 4: Putting Shared Decisionmaking Into Practice
- Trainer’s Module
For each module, AHRQ provides a facilitator’s Training Guide and slides—all ready to download, print, and use.
AHRQ also provides a series of questions to assess your readiness for the use of the SHARE Approach Workshop Curriculum.
SHARE Approach Tools
The SHARE Approach tools are a collection of reference guides, posters, and other resources, all designed to support implementation of AHRQ’s SHARE Approach. Tools in this collection include:
- Step-by-step tips and sample talking points for implementing the SHARE Approach with patients.
- Tips to communicate with patients who may come from different cultures or have limited skills in language or understanding of numbers and using the Teach-Back technique to enhance shared decisionmaking.
- An implementation guide for clinical practice teams.
- A brief for administrators and other senior leaders outlining the benefits of using shared decisionmaking.
SHARE Approach Implementation Success Stories
Implementation Success Stories highlight some examples of how AHRQ’s SHARE Approach curriculum and supporting tools have been used.
SHARE Approach Webinars
AHRQ offers accredited Webinars on topics related to the implementation of shared decisionmaking and the use of patient-centered outcomes research tools.
An AHRQ Knowledge Transfer project
The SHARE Approach has been developed as part of AHRQ's Knowledge Transfer Program under a project entitled, "Educating the Educators: Developing Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Tools for the People Who Educate Consumers, Patients, and Caregivers."