Despite the enormous financial cost and patient harm resulting from diagnostic error, many leaders have not addressed this growing patient safety problem.32 Healthcare leaders must create a climate that helps diverse, dynamic, sometimes geographically dispersed diagnostic teams to provide accurate, timely, and fully communicated diagnoses. Leaders with a growth mindset take on challenges, persist through obstacles, learn from criticism, and seek inspiration in others’ success. This is no small challenge in the face of competing priorities, but now is the time to begin the journey.
- Building Capacity for Change
- Patient Safety Resources by Setting
- Quality Measures
- Engaging Patients and Families
- About AHRQ's Quality & Patient Safety Work
- Patient Safety News and Events
- Education & Training
Leadership To Improve Diagnosis: A Call to Action
A Path Forward for Diagnostic Safety Improvement Leadership
Table of Contents
- Leadership To Improve Diagnosis: A Call to Action
- Diagnostic Safety as a Challenge for Healthcare Leadership
- Why Are Leaders Essential to Diagnostic Safety?
- How Can Leaders Drive Improvements in Diagnostic Safety?
- What Can Leaders Achieve by Prioritizing Diagnostic Safety?
- A Path Forward for Diagnostic Safety Improvement Leadership
Internet Citation: A Path Forward for Diagnostic Safety Improvement Leadership. Content last reviewed June 2021. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD.