- Data Infographics
- Data Visualizations
- Data Tools
- Data Innovations
- All-Payer Claims Database
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP)
- Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
- AHRQ Quality Indicator Tools for Data Analytics
- State Snapshots
- United States Health Information Knowledgebase (USHIK)
- Data Sources Available from AHRQ
Each year, somewhere between 700,000 and 1,000,000 people in the United States fall in the hospital, and about 1.3 million residents in nursing facilities fall. Falls can lead to serious injuries, decreased ability to function, reduced quality of life, increased fear of falling, and increased health care use. AHRQ’s tools, training, and research on preventing falls in hospitals and nursing homes.
- AHRQ's Safety Program for Nursing Homes: On-Time Falls Prevention
These tools help nursing homes with electronic medical records identify residents at risk for falls and prevent falls that can be avoided with good preventive care.
- Preventing Falls in Hospitals: A Toolkit for Improving Quality of Care
Preventing falls involves managing a patient's underlying risk factors and optimizing the hospital's physical design and environment. This toolkit focuses on developing, implementing, and sustaining a fall prevention program.
- The Falls Management Program: A Quality Improvement Initiative for Nursing Facilities
This manual presents an interdisciplinary quality improvement initiative for a falls management program. It is designed to assist nursing facilities in providing individualized, person-centered care and improving their fall care processes and outcomes through educational and quality improvement tools.
- Fall Prevention in Hospitals Training Program
The Fall Prevention in Hospitals Training Program helps hospitals develop, implement, and sustain a fall prevention program based on Preventing Falls in Hospitals: A Toolkit for Improving Quality of Care. Webinars for the training program are also available.
AHRQ's PSNet (Patient Safety Network) offers research on preventing falls in care settings, including a primer on falls.
- Innovations Exchange
The AHRQ Innovation Exchange provides information on strategies and quality tools for preventing falls in various care settings.