The Division of Practice Improvement
The Division of Practice Improvement (DPI), part of the Center for Evidence and Practice Improvement, promotes innovative and evidence-based healthcare and advances the science of dissemination and implementation DPI creates materials to teach healthcare professionals and systems to improve care for their patients. DPI projects focus on how to: increase adoption of effective healthcare practices, integrate behavioral health into primary care, provide practice facilitation for primary care, redesign health systems to make them more efficient and effective, and promote patient understanding and shared decision making.
Select the images and links below to learn more about the projects of the Division of Practice Improvement.
Learn about projects that use the EvidenceNOW Model of external support for primary care practices and find tools to help practices implement the best evidence and increase their quality improvement capacity.
Learn about TakeHEART, an initiative to help hospitals increase participation in cardiac rehabilitation and access tools and training.
Visit the Academy for Integrating Behavioral Health and Primary Care, a national resource and coordinating center that promotes and supports the integration of behavioral health into primary care and other settings.
Use AHRQ’s collection of resources to improve organizational health literacy, including implementation tools, professional training, and research tools.
Use AHRQ’s resources for practice facilitators and practice facilitation programs.
Learn about AHRQ’s translation of research into tools and resources for shared decision making (SDM) implementation. DPI creates materials to teach healthcare professionals and systems to improve care for their patients.
Staff in DPI manage grants ranging from small conferences to large patient-centered outcomes research dissemination and implementation projects. Active solicitations for grant applications include:
- AHRQ Announces Interest in Research on Climate Change and Healthcare.
- Special Emphasis Notice (SEN): AHRQ Announces Interest in Research on Improving Organizational Health Literacy to Prevent and Manage Chronic Disease.
- AHRQ Announces Interest in Primary Care Research.
- AHRQ Announces Interest in Research that Uses Shared Decision Making as a Tool to Improve the Quality of Care for Low Income and Racial and Ethnic Minority Patients.
- Special Emphasis Notice (SEN): AHRQ Announces Interest in Health Services Research to Address Substance Use Disorder Epidemic.
Other Topic Areas
DPI staff work on a range of other topics.
- AHRQ's Dissemination and Implementation Initiative.
- Multiple chronic conditions.
- Climate change and healthcare.
- Guidelines and measures.
- Social determinants of health.
- Learning health systems.
- Person-Centered Preventive Healthcare: Gathering Stakeholder Input on Evidence and Implementation (PDF, 430 KB).