The QMETRIC team created multiple resources that can be leveraged and adapted for use at other organizations and institutions. Links to these resources are available throughout the earlier sections of the toolkit. The majority are listed and include associated links in the three Strategic Road Maps.
Multiple manuscripts provide detailed information regarding measure development and quality improvement activities related to improving preventive care for children with sickle cell anemia.
The following literature provides more detailed information regarding measure development, quality measurement and quality improvement activities.
- Bates KE, et al. Designing a Multistakeholder Collaboration to Improve Preventive Care for Children with Sickle Cell Anemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2019 Nov 12. DOI: 10.1097/MPH.0000000000001666.
- Carroll AE, Sickle Cell Disease Still Tends to be Overlooked. The New York Times, August 5, 2019, Appeared in Print on August 19, 2019 in Section B, Page 5 entitled “Sickle Cell Anemia Lacks the Attention it Deserves”
- Reeves SL, et al. Performance of ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes for identifying children with Sickle Cell Anemia. Health Serv Res 2020;00:1–8. DOI: 10.1111/1475-6773.13257.
- Reeves SL, et al. Transcranial Doppler Screening Among Children and Adolescents with Sickle Cell Anemia. JAMA Pediatr 2016;170(6):550-556. DOI:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.4859
Design Meeting Materials—Understanding Quality Improvement
The following materials were used for the QMETRIC SCD Expert Design meetings to provide a general a general understanding of quality improvement principles.
- Bennett B, Provost L. What’s Your Theory: Driver Diagram Serves as Tool for Building and Testing Theories for Improvement. Quality Progress. 2015 Jul:36-43. Available at: http://www.apiweb.org/QP_whats-your-theory_201507.pdf.
Additional healthcare quality improvement materials may be obtained from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) at www.ihi.org, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality at www.ahrq.gov.
The following videos provide information on strategies for quality improvement in healthcare.
- IHI Open School, “Don Goldmann: How do you use a driver diagram?” can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfcE_Q-IRFg.
- Dr. Mike Evans, “Quality Improvement in Healthcare” can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq52ZjMzqyI.