Collect information on the voice of the customer
- Use tracer methodology to track how a patient moves through the process and aid in the development of value stream mapping.
- Map out the future state of the process.
- Remove non-value-added steps from the future-state process.
- Create spaghetti diagrams to show the pathways staff and patients take to move through the process.
- Prepare a fishbone diagram to examine cause and effect.*
- Use the workout concept to brainstorm problems, and discuss and vote on solutions.
- Implement visual management techniques.**
- Apply the concept of push versus pull (level loading).
- Learn data-collection techniques and statistical analysis.
- Visit the units where the process will be implemented.
- Create project-specific tools such as Excel spreadsheets to track bed availability or color-coded systems to indicate patient load.
- Make an action plan for implementing in the department.
- Report the results of the project at 30 days.
- Report the sustainment of the project at 90 days.
* Visual display of the many potential causes for a problem or effect.
** Visual aid or device that promotes safer, more efficient, and less wasteful processes and creates a "status at a glance."