Five Major Steps to Intervention (The "5 A's")
- Ask - Identify and document tobacco use status for every patient at every visit. (You may wish to develop your own vital signs sticker, based on the sample below).
- Advise - In a clear, strong, and personalized manner, urge every tobacco user to quit.
- Assess - Is the tobacco user willing to make a quit attempt at this time?
- Assist - For the patient willing to make a quit attempt, use counseling and pharmacotherapy to help him or her quit. (See Counseling Patients To Quit and pharmacotherapy information in this packet).
- Arrange - Schedule followup contact, in person or by telephone, preferably within the first week after the quit date.
Tobacco Use: Current Former Never (circle one)
* Alternatives to expanding the vital signs are to place tobacco-use status stickers on all patient charts or to indicate tobacco use status using electronic medical records or computer reminder systems.