How To Use This Toolkit
This toolkit consists of four modules to help you improve care for mechanically ventilated patients:
- Module on How To Apply CUSP for Mechanically Ventilated Patients
- Technical Bundles Module
- Ventilator-Associated Events and Outcome Measures Module
- Sustainability Module
The modules (and included materials) can be used in any order or combination, and their use should be tailored to a unit’s needs. However, implementation of technical bundles is facilitated by having Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program (CUSP) principles in place, including teamwork, communication and patient safety culture. Therefore, it may be advisable to begin with a review of the CUSP module to see if these principles need support or augmentation in your unit. In addition, quality improvement initiatives are built around improving processes in order to improve patient outcomes, so pertinent measures from the Ventilator-Associated Events and Outcome Measures Module may be useful.
Each module contains some or all of the following materials:
- Guides (PDF): Each guide walks users through one step of planning, implementing, and sustaining an infection prevention program for mechanically ventilated patients and creating a culture of safety.
- Tools (Word): The tools help you and your team implement the concepts in the guides. Tools include items such as checklists, information sheets, forms, and worksheets. Some materials can be modified to fit your team’s needs.
- Slide sets (PowerPoint): Educational slide sets can be viewed by individual users or presented to a group by a facilitator or leader.
- Facilitator guides (Word): The facilitator guides accompany the slide sets and provide facilitators a script to use when presenting the slides. They can be edited to meet presentation needs.
Links to these products are located within each module, on the Toolkit Modules page.
Page originally created January 2017