This enhanced protocol is based on materials successfully used in the REDUCE MRSA Trial (Randomized Evaluation of Decolonization vs. Universal Clearance to Eliminate Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus), which found that universal decolonization was the most effective intervention. Universal decolonization led to a 37 percent reduction in MRSA clinical cultures and a 44 percent reduction in all-cause bloodstream infections.
This protocol will provide you with instructions for implementing universal decolonization in adult intensive care units (ICUs). In addition to the scientific rationale provided in this overview to the protocol, this resource includes:
- Information to help you prepare for launch, as well as a flow chart (Appendix A).
- Information on decisionmaking and implementation readiness (Appendix B).
- An overview statement and information on universal decolonization in adult ICUs (Appendix C).
- A universal ICU decolonization nursing protocol (Appendix D).
- Training and educational materials (Appendix E).
- Protocol skills assessment (Appendix F).
- Product safety information (Appendix G).