This handbook provides the in-depth information Health Information Technology (IT) Advisors need to effectively provide health IT-related assistance for primary care practices to support their quality improvement (QI) and practice transformation efforts.
The audience for this handbook includes both Health IT Advisors—people who focus exclusively on providing health IT support—as well as the practice facilitators/coaches who have the necessary background, interest, and skills to provide clinical health IT support. The handbook could also be useful for practice staff responsible for addressing health IT needs related to QI.
The handbook assumes readers already have a basic level of comfort with using electronic health records and with extracting and using electronic data for QI.
The handbook addresses the following topics:
- Strategies for Health IT Advisors
- Working with Electronic Health Records
- Clinical Decision Support
- Patient Portals and Engagement Technologies
- Incorporating Patient-generated Data for Quality Improvement
- Electronic Health Record Use Cases for Quality Improvement
- Beyond the Electronic Health Record: Alternative Data Sources for Quality Improvement
- Review of Clinical Quality Measures
- Review of Risk-Stratification in Primary Care